Home » Support » 3D Printing » I want the model's dimensions are not changed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I want the model's dimensions are not changed [message #64578] Thu, 21 March 2013 13:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar jjcoll  is currently offline jjcoll
Go to my shop
I'm building a model of motorcycle parts.

I made the chassis. Here is the link: http://shpws.me/np13

Obviously not modify the dimensions so that later they can fit different parts.

Original Bounds
In: 1.9 w x 8.5 d x 5.2 h (Cm: 4.9 w x 21.7 d x 13.1 h)

But disappointment! :
Oriented Bounds (used for determining printability)
In: 1.9 w x 8.6 d x 4.6 h (Cm: 4.8 w x 21.9 d x 11.6 h)

Does anyone know why this happens? What do I have to do to keep the original proportions?

Thank you very much!
Re: I want the model's dimensions are not changed [message #64580 is a reply to message #64578 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 13:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The original bounding box is the bounding box based on the orientation of the model you uploaded.

The oriented bounding box is the bounding box based on the smallest bounding box possible for your model to calculate the density of the model for any density discounts, and to determine material print ability.

So your model isn't scaled, only rotated.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: I want the model's dimensions are not changed [message #64646 is a reply to message #64580 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 07:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jjcoll  is currently offline jjcoll
Go to my shop
Thank you very much for your quick response.
I've thought this since it says "Oriented Bounds" but I was surprised and I thought that was the real end because that is the public image (in: http://shpws.me/np13) measures are the " Oriented bounds " but not the originals.. For this I had my doubts.

I will make an order of printing so I can see how the end result.

Greetings!
JJ
Re: I want the model's dimensions are not changed [message #66854 is a reply to message #64646 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 13:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar HarrisSilverForge  is currently offline HarrisSilverForge
Go to all my models
I have a related problem. I have a model I want to print in colored plastic, and was thus very careful to model it within a 15cm x 15cm x 15cm box, but my model would lay along the diagonal of the box and so it's oriented longest dimension is 17 cm. Is there a way to preserve my original orientation so I can print in colored plastic?

Previous Topic:Precision & accuracy
Next Topic:What is the best way to approach 3D scanning and printing something large?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.