Home » Community » General Discussion » Make your profit question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Make your profit question [message #64326] Mon, 18 March 2013 14:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar aleksandar  is currently offline aleksandar
Go to my shop
Hi,

I'm writing to hear your opinion on that:

Printing costs for my product is 7 EUROS, I put it in my shop with mark up of 20% (8,40 EUROS)- the one suggested by shapeways. The client has to pay 8,40 EUROS + shipping, which is 7,24 EUROS for France thanks to ups.

So, UPS caches +100% and me: 20% and product arrives to my client on 15,64 EUROS

If I break down:

ME: cconcept+design+modeling+photography - 1,4 Euros (brutt)
SHAPEWAYS: producin+logistic - 7 Euros
UPS: shipping - 7,24 Euros

Isn't it the solution in that case to order some amount on myself, to store them at home and ship at reasonable prices? At least for Europe I can beat up UPS on price, furthermore 10 days of wait for production will be saved on the client's side... There are many CMS store templates worldwide...

I will be thankful to know how would you deal in such case
Cheers!

product deisgn, visualisation & photography www.ad-3d.com www.adphoto.fr
Re: Make your profit question [message #64379 is a reply to message #64326 ] Mon, 18 March 2013 21:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi addk2,

you're mistaking revenue for profit though. Both UPS and Shapeways incur significant cost to ship or produce your model. I obviously can't share our margins, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're still the one that's making the most money on the project Wink

Of course, you can buy in bulk and do the shipping yourself - there are plenty of shop owners who do that. The question you have to ask yourself though is how much you're willing to invest in your stock and what your risks are if you can't sell it. The beauty of 'on demand' production with Shapeways is that you have zero stock and zero risk!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Make your profit question [message #64383 is a reply to message #64379 ] Mon, 18 March 2013 21:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aleksandar  is currently offline aleksandar
Go to my shop
Thanks Bart,

I'm happy with shapeways, and the comparison I made was simply to show that in my scenario and every other case where product is rather cheap- the truck is the absolute winner (x10)

But anyway I understand you. Thanks again

product deisgn, visualisation & photography www.ad-3d.com www.adphoto.fr

Previous Topic:My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs
Next Topic:converting collada to stl.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.