Quilt block charms:)

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 324768_deleted, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hi
    I am in need of a modeler to make a file for some 2 D Quilt Blocks
    I am attaching pictures #509-513 are some types of quilt blocks.
    Thank you
    Nioole

Attached Files:

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Hi,

What pray tell is a 2D quilt block? :D

Something to do with quilting I'll bet. :p

How are these quilt blocks used?

James

3. hi
    I make charm bracelets, earrings, keyrings, and such...
    I am in need of new charms... You can look at my site ccqd.com
    to get a small idea of what i am looking for.
    Thank you
    Plz let me know what you think
    nicole

4. UniverseBecoming
    Oh, ok I see,

So you want these 2D vector graphics in the PDF file made into 3D charms. Correct?

If that's the case we can do those simple patterns pretty easily, but the other ones would be a lot harder to do with a good degree of detail. You'll get other quotes, but for me, to do those simple patterns I would charge $5 each. For the more complex designs though, the ones that require sculpting in bas relief I would have to charge a lot more. For the cartoon looking designs I'd have to charge $30 each and for the animals and detailed drawings I'd need to charge $200 each. This is based on how long it would take me to do each sculpt.

5. HI
    OK i would love to try one and see how it turns out.
    If you go to #513 on the flyer it is called the Pin Wheel
    ITs one basic Square with 4 pin wheel in each corner.
    Next Question the materials that would be good to use to
    make this out of?
    My quilt charms that i have in stock now are made from peweter
    and silver plated.

6. UniverseBecoming
    Yeah I can do one of those for you, no problem.

As for 3D printing here at Shapeways, no they don't have that service yet. What you could do though is have them printed in Ultra Frosted Detail, which is a kind of plastic, and then you can send those to a casting shop that does centrifugal casting in pewter. They would make a mold from your plastic 3D printed charms and cast them in bulk. Then from there they would be electroplated in silver.

7. OK
    Sounds Great What would be the next step?
    and How much will it cost to have them poduce it in the plastic?
    thank you
    nicole:}

8. UniverseBecoming
    To make one would be very cheap, something like $7 in FUD. However, you'd want a bunch of them to send to the metal caster, like say 25 or 50 depending on what kind of casting equipment they were using. Keep in mind though that once you have the 3D file in your hands you can produce it in numerous ways, not just 3D printed.

9. Each one would b $7.00?
    I need to do some research on the metal casting.
    I looked at some of the"sandstone" models would it be possiable
    to have a couple of these made with color? I have a resin I use that I would like to
    see if it would work on water proofing them?
    And not to seem dumb but what is FUD?
    funds in us dollars?

10. UniverseBecoming
    FUD is an acronym we Shapers use for Frosted Ultra Detail. Found here.

Yeah, Full Color Sandstone is cool! Thing is though, it's not very strong. Perhaps if you found a way to infuse it with polyester or epoxy it would be better, but it's already infused with a clear coat to help brighten and preserve the color.

Sterling silver is another option from Shapeways. Though it is super expensive, you can have up to a million polygons in one order, so when it comes to these tiny charms you may be able to have enough made at one time to make it profitable. Then again, you'd be doing the work of a jeweler to make them sellable. You'd have to cut them apart (the sprues joining them) and then patina and polish them.

:)

11. UniverseBecoming
    Here's that pinwheel pattern made into a 3D model. I only spent about 10 minutes on this so there are a few things I didn't bother to do. The prices are Shapeways prices, no markup, so you can get an idea for 3D printing it in the different materials. It's also downloadable so you can download it and keep it. :)

12. UniverseBecoming
    Here are some dimensions on it.

[​IMG]

13. Its awesome! :p :p :p
    Ok How do I get it manufactured in sandstone and a FUD ?
    thank you!
    nicole

14. Ok
    On the dimensions is that cm?
    I clicked on the buy now button and chose some different materials, is the
    color sandstone available?
    this is so awsome!!!
    thank you
    nicole

15. UniverseBecoming
    hehehe :D

It might be too thin for sandstone, you could try it and see. Also, sandstone is not good at details so it might look kind of yucky. If it was too thin they would send me a message telling to fix it! :p FUD, silver and the other plastics would be ok, but not silver glossy or premium.

16. UniverseBecoming
    Oh, I forgot to say, no those measurements are in mm.

Yeah, sandstone is not available cuz the autonomous robots down at Shapeways looked at it and automatically determined that it is too thin for sandstone. I can make it thicker, but then the pinwheel look will fade away. That's the problem with making things super small like this, everything has to be adjusted to look halfway good, but sometimes it is impossible to fake it. :D

17. UniverseBecoming
    I'm not good at left brain things like READINGGGGGG! HAHAHA! :laughing:

Soooooo, can you rewrite that so I can see what you're saying better? I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure. :)

Oh, and I'm a night person so I'll be going to sleep soon. :p

If I fall asleep though I'll come see what's up when I awake.

18. UniverseBecoming
    Oh yeah, were you meaning to put a background behind the pinwheel charm so that the pinwheels stick out like a bas relief? And you want the background to be a different color? Andddd you want it made thick enough so that it can be printed in Full Color Sandstone. Something like that? :D

If so, I can whip up all that after I sleep. Or one of the other Shapers might download it and do it depending on how busy they are. :)

19. UniverseBecoming
    It not only needs to be thicker but it also needs to be bigger overall based on this design rule for sandstone -> Min Bounding Box: x+y+z≥75mm :eek: