Home » Community » It arrived! » Memento from my game - but high detail ones are way lower quality than the low detail ones
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Memento from my game - but high detail ones are way lower quality than the low detail ones [message #63935] Tue, 12 March 2013 22:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar increpare  is currently offline increpare
Go to my shop
I'm a game developer, and've been working on something for the past six months. It's still a ways of being done, but I thought I'd try get some props from it printed out - in this case, slightly weird fork-things (3d models of it can be seen on the teaser page here).

I got 5 black strong and flexible, and 2 black detail - which I assumed would be better quality, but they're really inferior - on the right here

index.php?t=getfile&id=28907&private=0

The one on the left, as you can see, is super dark matt and lovely, the one on the right (the detail one) is really fuzzy/not that black, really uneven.

It's not that big a deal, I was just trying them out - I'm happy with the cheaper ones and will go for that in future if I ever happen to get more made. But it's weird that the ones that were twice as expensive turned out so much worse. Is this what I should expect? I didn't see any indication that I could expect this sort of finish on the description page.

Anyway, it's neat having 3d things!

(and yep, I dropped Customer Services a line and pointed them at this thread)

[Updated on: Wed, 13 March 2013 12:20 UTC]

Re: Momento from my game - but high detail ones are way lower quality than the low detail ones [message #63979 is a reply to message #63935 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 11:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The black detail one looks to have support material on it still - this is uncured resin and can be removed by bathing the model in a warm, mild NaOh solution (lye/caustic soda) follwed by a rins under running water, you may need to reppeat this a couple of time as well as maybe use a soft brush to get into any corners.

Paul

Previous Topic:Best Shapeways delivery yet
Next Topic:Fairy

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.