Home » Community » General Discussion » My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #63926] Tue, 12 March 2013 20:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar robertpalm89  is currently offline robertpalm89
Go to my shop
Hello! So I created a model in Sculptris that was not able to be printed, I am still waiting to see if there are other materials I could print it in...
I am wondering what program I would use to hallow out a design? Or what other programs I should be design in? I really like the shaping I get with Sculptris and free form it has. I just need some help figuring this out. Thank you for your help and support! This community has been great!
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #63937 is a reply to message #63926 ] Tue, 12 March 2013 22:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
you can use pretty much any program that support boolean operations...

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
icon5.gif  Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #63938 is a reply to message #63937 ] Tue, 12 March 2013 22:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robertpalm89  is currently offline robertpalm89
Go to my shop
Is there a program with this and freeware?
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #63939 is a reply to message #63938 ] Tue, 12 March 2013 22:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
i am using blender
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/28/tip_boolean_modifier/
but there are more programs

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #63984 is a reply to message #63926 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 12:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I also use blender. I'm actually contemplating a more complete sculptris to Blender to SW tutorial.

When I hollow I use solidify

[Updated on: Wed, 13 March 2013 12:53 UTC]

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #64001 is a reply to message #63938 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 16:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Oh, so you already made a thread for this, good. Smile

The program you want, if you liked Sculptris, is Zbrush. In fact, Zbrush has a special command for doing this hollowing out process. It's the world's best and most used digital sculpting software. It's about $600 US though and super hard to learn.

For free, in addition to what's been mentioned, you could use Meshmixer. See this video.

As side note, I just tried the Blender Solidify command and that works great! Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know about that. Very Happy

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing.  

James
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #64215 is a reply to message #64001 ] Fri, 15 March 2013 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Ive heard about sculptris, whats the difference between that and Zbrush 4r4?

[Updated on: Fri, 15 March 2013 21:35 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #64323 is a reply to message #64215 ] Mon, 18 March 2013 13:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
SG Designs wrote on Fri, 15 March 2013 21:35

Ive heard about sculptris, whats the difference between that and Zbrush 4r4?

Zbrush acquired Sculptris a while ago, because it's awesome. So Zbrush implemented code from Sculptris into Zbrush to enhance Zbrush. So from what I see (I don't have nor have I used Zbrush) Zbrush is like Sulptris with at least $700 worth of extra features and coolness. Don't think I'd be able to do this in Sculptris http://www.pixologic01.com/zbrush/gallery/files/120823-zboot/attachment.jpg

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #64336 is a reply to message #63984 ] Mon, 18 March 2013 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar NickHawkins  is currently offline NickHawkins
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 13 March 2013 12:52

I also use blender. I'm actually contemplating a more complete sculptris to Blender to SW tutorial.

You need to check the results of solidify, I've tried using it for small model aircraft and the results were unpredictable. I now duplicate the main shape and then scale it.
Re: My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs [message #64378 is a reply to message #63984 ] Mon, 18 March 2013 21:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 13 March 2013 12:52

Let me know when you do, might be nice material for a post on BlenderNation Smile

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Scanning
Next Topic:Make your profit question