Home » Community » Work in progress » Sandstone question. Would this work/print?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #63838] Mon, 11 March 2013 22:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Zenchuck  is currently offline Zenchuck
Go to my shop
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4824/wtpq.jpg

This is a detail in a project I am currently working on. It is a knob that is supposed to rotate. I have carefully made the clearances at .9 mm and the center cylinder is 3 mm diameter. My question is regarding the height of the knob itself. I am new to printing in general and I know that min. width is specified is 2 mm but in this case is it still considered a "wall"?

Thanks for any insight into this.

~Andrew
Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #63876 is a reply to message #63838 ] Tue, 12 March 2013 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The general rule for walls vs details is, if it sticks out farther than it is wide, it's a wall. If it's wider or equal to how tall it is, it's a detail.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #63992 is a reply to message #63876 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 13:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Okay, thanks for the tip. I heightened them a bit.

My second question is about the auto boolean features at Shapeways.

-How far do objects need to intersect? For example, if you had 2 cubes that were placed exactly next to each other in 3d with 0 space between would the object print as a single solid object?

thanks,

Andrew
Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #63995 is a reply to message #63838 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 15:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Having items face to face causes issues. The checking software will automatically delete one of the overlapping faces. Then you have a face in the center that the software tries to make sense of, usually wreaking havoc on your model. Best is to have them overlap if you're relying on the upload software to join your model.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #64006 is a reply to message #63992 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 16:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Just overlap the parts by a fraction and use the NetFabb Cloud service to see how they'd work out.

Paul

[Updated on: Wed, 13 March 2013 16:46 UTC]

Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #64010 is a reply to message #64006 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 17:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I will try the Netfabb product.

This is great to get answers to some of these questions.

My final question is about making objects fit together similar to lego blocks - basically a friction fit. I understand the .9mm clearance for objects that are printed next to each other, but if I was trying to lock two objects together wouldn't a .9 mm gap on all sides be loose? should I be designing tighter than that? If anyone has tried this with success I would like to know the design that was used. This project is in sandstone to take advantage of the full color printing.

~Andrew
Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #64013 is a reply to message #63838 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I've seen friction fit items in the detail materials. The problem with using the other materials is the accuracy of the prints. Sandstone is listed as having medium accuracy... I don't know what that means. But I don't think a friction fit item could be guaranteed to work every print with sandstone.

Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #64014 is a reply to message #64010 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
LEGO stud fit is made oversize - +0.05mm stud, -0.05mm socket iirc - because the material is ABS and has some give. FCS is gypsum based and has no give. The print accuracy won't get anywhere near a tolerance fit either/

Paul

Re: Sandstone question. Would this work/print? [message #64019 is a reply to message #64014 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 18:02 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Ahh, it seams like all my clever ideas are going out the window. Thinking about friction fitting items has made me think more about my initial design of the knobs and other items to have them spin. I realize now that the items will be too loose as well. I'm going to start again and make this one big monolith.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8691/pointlessk.jpg

Previous Topic:jin kazama arm tattoo styled pendant
Next Topic:Walking Stick Top

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.