Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wire models [message #63706] Sun, 10 March 2013 01:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Anasrafiq  is currently offline Anasrafiq
Go to my shop
Hello

I modeled a design (portrait) that has these dimensions:

cm : w 11 d 11.5 h 20
in : w 4.3 d 4.5 h 7.9

and willing to print it using the strong and flexible plastics,this needs a min wire free of 1mm
My design wires are respecting that size but im having doubt about it, should i make the wire thicker? (the more thicker the more the design lose its
original desired look)

Any suggestions will be more than welcomed

Thank you for your time and help

www.anasrafiq.com http://3dprintedfashion.blogspot.com/
Re: Wire models [message #63708 is a reply to message #63706 ] Sun, 10 March 2013 01:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Strong and flexible require(d?) a 1:116 ratio. Or the other way around, 1mm is fine if the dimensions are below 116mm. Yours reaches 200mm, so it will need 1.73mm wire.
Re: Wire models [message #63712 is a reply to message #63708 ] Sun, 10 March 2013 01:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks you so much
I guess i'm gonna scale it down to 116mm so the wire keep thin.

Do you have any idea about how can i print it in 200mm size while keeping the wires 1mm thick?will playing with wires size in differents areas help?
for example making the base wires thicker enought to support the weight while the facial wires thinner.

Re: Wire models [message #63721 is a reply to message #63712 ] Sun, 10 March 2013 05:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
You might get it printed the first time, but pretty soon the Shapeways printing cops will catch up to you and put the kibosh on your model. So if you want to do one for yourself, I say go for it - you don't really have anything to lose. But if it's something that you want to put into your shop and sell a zillion of, then even 1.73mm wires aren't going to be big enough to keep it printable indefinitely.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Wire models [message #63753 is a reply to message #63721 ] Sun, 10 March 2013 15:50 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the information

Why would shapeways print it once if they will put the kibosh on it later?
I think i will need to print it and give it a chance, i ll considered as a prototype not to be sold until i find out how to make it stronger and printable while keeping its original desired design look

Previous Topic:Ambition 3d model for a new user
Next Topic:The Cleaning Process

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.