Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » How to use automotive paint?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to use automotive paint? [message #63677] Sat, 09 March 2013 18:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar ZeeMar  is currently offline ZeeMar
Go to my shop
I have seen some 3D parts painted with automotive paint. They look amazing and I want to try this.

1) Anybody know how I might approach this with SLS parts?

2) Is there a way to get automotive paint that matches my car color?

Thanks
Re: How to use automotive paint? [message #63696 is a reply to message #63677 ] Sat, 09 March 2013 20:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Priming the plastic first would be good, use a suitable primer though - probably an acrylic primer.

On your car should be a plate (maybe door frame or bonnet/hood slam panel), the plate will have things like min & max weights along with a code for the paint colour. You should be able to get a near perfect match in any decent auto factors, or head to your local spray shop for hem to make up the perfect match.

Paul
Re: How to use automotive paint? [message #63710 is a reply to message #63696 ] Sun, 10 March 2013 01:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ZeeMar  is currently offline ZeeMar
Go to my shop
ok thanks I will look into that.

Would I need an airbrush or could I use an ordinary paintbrush? I do not have an air compressor right now.

Previous Topic:Glued non locking assembly
Next Topic:Attach swarovski crystal: best material & glue?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.