PRINTING QUESTION

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 316727_deleted, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask if I have a 3d file that has two pieces in it. Would the two pieces be printed?

Thank you

keys.jpg

2. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    It depends on the material :p but in the plastics, yes

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Haven't a clue.

Intended material and dimensions can help us help you ;)

Paul

4. Hi,

I want to print in premium silver .
    The distance between the two pieces is around 10mm.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    I don't suppose the specifics on premium silver are really known, but I would assume you'll have to put them in separate part files.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm not sure about premium silver, but the other silvers allow natural pairs (ear rings, cuff links). I'll inquire about premium.

7. Thank you guys,

I uploaded my file to them and is approved. Does it mean, it will print the two pieces.

Sorry I am new to Shapeways.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    No, the upload only checks the bounding box, and what materials can be used for that size bounding box. It doesn't check to make sure you have sufficient wall thickness, or if you have multiple shells.

9. oh okay,

thanks for the help.

10. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    As stated above for silver, no, not two parts unless it is cufflinks or earrings. However, there is a way around that. What you do is connect them together so that the two form one solid part. Then, after you receive the item from Shapeways, you separate it and polish the connection points. This then saves you having to pay two processing fees.

On the other hand, you need to be able to finish the two parts without causing damage. If Shapeways were to make a mistake and cause damage they just reprint and recast the item, whereas if you make a mistake and cause damage you'll have to reorder.

11. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    ^^^

Those 'lock & key earrings' look great, I'm sure they'll print well in silver ;)

Paul