Need some info on 3D printing in shapeways

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by antslake, Mar 8, 2013.

1. antslake
    antslake Member
    Hi, I am currently looking to get some work printed on an EOS SLS machine. I have other companies providing quotes. As I am new to this, I have many questions. What I am trying to produce is discontinued fuel cells for ATV machines, and various other plastic parts. I've already paid Konica Minolta good money to 3d laser scan these parts for me. So my questions are:
    1. Are any of the materials used by shapeways fuel proof and applicable to my need?
    2. Can my STL files be made private, I don't want others being able to print them.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For your first question, I don't think you'll find a 3D printed fuel proof material. You will probably have to do a post process to do that.
    For your second question, when you upload a file, it's automatically private. If you want to sell it to others, there is a check box for that. And if you want it public on the site, there is a check box for that. But until you check them, it is private.

3. antslake
    antslake Member
    Thanks for the fast reply. One company called north west rapid manufacturing are using the EOS machine to produce nylon fuel cells for military drones. There is a second process called gold seal that they apply, but was told that it wasn't necessary. I don't know the exact name of the base material they are using, just was told that it was nylon.

4. antslake
    antslake Member
    Actually the material is PA12? or EOS PA2201?

5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  6. antslake
    antslake Member
    hmm, one number different. Going to have to find out the differences between PA2200, and PA2201.

I am assuming the PA2200 is the "strong and flexible plastic"?