Multiple materials

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 321635_deleted, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Hello,
    I have a finite element mesh in Abaqus input format that is the result of my finite element analysis. There are 2 different materials in the cuboidal domain that is the result of a numerical optimization. Could someone be kind enough to answer these basic questions I have (I am sorry I am new to this)?
    1) Is it possible to print 2 different materials?
    2) Does anyone know of any freeware or otherwise using which I can export an abaqus input mesh to STL for a mesh containing 2 materials?
    thanks

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    At this time, Shapeways does not offer printing in two materials at the same time.
    A key component of the probem is that the standard STL format doesn't have a "material" indicator, so you couldn't differentiate.

It's a poplular request though, and I'm sure it'll come along someday.

3. Thanks for the reply. Its alright if two materials cannot be printed. Could you please give suggestions on the rest of the question?
    Also instead of 2 materials, I can for now go with different colors for different components of the mesh. So could you please tell me the tools I could use to properly export this, from Abaqus format and how do I assign colors to components etc.