Most recent Order

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Ray716, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Okay so a week or so ago I got in a HUGE order of prints for my designs. For the most part they turned out GREAT. the first picture is most of them still in their baggies. The second picture are the designs for the Kickstarter I'm working on. and the third picture has 4 cufflinks and a lapel clip Idea that I had.

SDC10595.JPG

SDC10596.JPG

SDC10597.JPG

Now that being said.. I did have a few issues that I was not too thrilled about. BUT, while these issues are not a problem with this order they may be a problem for future orders. I will do a second post in this thread dealing with the issues I had.

Ray

2. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    The sterling silver piece I ordered was bent and warped in a few ways. This was just a test piece and I can and will fix it, I"m not going to have them send me a replacement for this. I'm posting them so Customer Service knows about it and so they can keep a better eye open for the future. Please be aware that I LOVE Shapeways and think that overall they do an Excellent job. But there is always room for improvement.

This first image shows the design facing forward. If you look at the bottom the two legs are bent inwards when they should be completely parallel.
    SDC10608.JPG

This second image shows the design from the side. It should be completly straight, but as you can see it's quite bent. AND you can see the bail is bent out of shape.
    SDC10609.JPG

This next picture is a better angel showing the left bail out of round. The other side is great, this side not so much.
    SDC10610.JPG

Now you can also see a number of nicks and "bruising" of the design either while it was in a wax state or during cleaning. specifically around the area of the sprue. which was the top left, the same side with the distorted bail.

Now that I've shown what's wrong, time to head into the studio to fix these issues.

Even with the small problems every now and then, Thank you Shapeways for being awesome!

Ray

3. I'm curious to hear the answer of Shapeways. I would think the warping happens because the design is too thin.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'd also think shipping could have a hand in it too.

5. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    svenvanderhart, It is possible that the design is too thin.. but most of the areas are 2mm thick.

Youknowwho4eva, while it's possible these could have happened during shipping I doubt it. there was a LOT of bubble wrap AND all of the designs are fairly flat AND all of the other metal designs came out fantastically. The damage to me looks like it was done while removing the sprue and polishing OR done during the wax phase.

Ray

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Packing too tight can cause issues as well. Have you emailed service? It's always good to let them know something came out wrong so they can see if they can find where and when the issue arose.

7. The material is able to handle 2mm, but the longer it is, the more change of warping there is I would say.

Btw, I like your attitude towards refunds. I have it the same way. In most cases, I need to adjust things to my models anyway for the next test or final print, so I don't ask for a refund either. I just (try to) make sure that my design has enough strength to stand "accidents".

They are always kind to offer me a refund, though. The wiling attitude is enough for me. They deserve their profit.