Home » Community » It arrived! » Most recent Order
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Most recent Order [message #63450] Thu, 07 March 2013 16:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Okay so a week or so ago I got in a HUGE order of prints for my designs. For the most part they turned out GREAT. the first picture is most of them still in their baggies. The second picture are the designs for the Kickstarter I'm working on. and the third picture has 4 cufflinks and a lapel clip Idea that I had.

index.php?t=getfile&id=28604&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=28605&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=28606&private=0

Now that being said.. I did have a few issues that I was not too thrilled about. BUT, while these issues are not a problem with this order they may be a problem for future orders. I will do a second post in this thread dealing with the issues I had.

Ray

• Attachment: SDC10595.JPG
    (Size: 179.38KB, Downloaded 252 time(s))

• Attachment: SDC10596.JPG
    (Size: 191.95KB, Downloaded 255 time(s))

• Attachment: SDC10597.JPG
    (Size: 145.46KB, Downloaded 255 time(s))

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Most recent Order [message #63451 is a reply to message #63450 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 16:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The sterling silver piece I ordered was bent and warped in a few ways. This was just a test piece and I can and will fix it, I"m not going to have them send me a replacement for this. I'm posting them so Customer Service knows about it and so they can keep a better eye open for the future. Please be aware that I LOVE Shapeways and think that overall they do an Excellent job. But there is always room for improvement.

This first image shows the design facing forward. If you look at the bottom the two legs are bent inwards when they should be completely parallel.
index.php?t=getfile&id=28607&private=0

This second image shows the design from the side. It should be completly straight, but as you can see it's quite bent. AND you can see the bail is bent out of shape.
index.php?t=getfile&id=28608&private=0

This next picture is a better angel showing the left bail out of round. The other side is great, this side not so much.
index.php?t=getfile&id=28609&private=0

Now you can also see a number of nicks and "bruising" of the design either while it was in a wax state or during cleaning. specifically around the area of the sprue. which was the top left, the same side with the distorted bail.

Now that I've shown what's wrong, time to head into the studio to fix these issues.

Even with the small problems every now and then, Thank you Shapeways for being awesome!

Ray

• Attachment: SDC10608.JPG
    (Size: 1.78MB, Downloaded 238 time(s))

• Attachment: SDC10609.JPG
    (Size: 1.60MB, Downloaded 241 time(s))

• Attachment: SDC10610.JPG
    (Size: 1.64MB, Downloaded 241 time(s))

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Most recent Order [message #63462 is a reply to message #63451 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 19:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svenvanderhart  is currently offline svenvanderhart
Go to my shop
I'm curious to hear the answer of Shapeways. I would think the warping happens because the design is too thin.

http://tramworks.nl
Re: Most recent Order [message #63465 is a reply to message #63450 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'd also think shipping could have a hand in it too.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Most recent Order [message #63467 is a reply to message #63462 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 19:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
svenvanderhart, It is possible that the design is too thin.. but most of the areas are 2mm thick.

Youknowwho4eva, while it's possible these could have happened during shipping I doubt it. there was a LOT of bubble wrap AND all of the designs are fairly flat AND all of the other metal designs came out fantastically. The damage to me looks like it was done while removing the sprue and polishing OR done during the wax phase.

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Most recent Order [message #63470 is a reply to message #63450 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Packing too tight can cause issues as well. Have you emailed service? It's always good to let them know something came out wrong so they can see if they can find where and when the issue arose.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Most recent Order [message #63473 is a reply to message #63467 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 19:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar svenvanderhart  is currently offline svenvanderhart
Go to my shop
The material is able to handle 2mm, but the longer it is, the more change of warping there is I would say.

Btw, I like your attitude towards refunds. I have it the same way. In most cases, I need to adjust things to my models anyway for the next test or final print, so I don't ask for a refund either. I just (try to) make sure that my design has enough strength to stand "accidents".

They are always kind to offer me a refund, though. The wiling attitude is enough for me. They deserve their profit.

http://tramworks.nl

Previous Topic:-- NEW VIDEO -- Silver Bandit Bead
Next Topic:Another FCS arrived !

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.