Home » Support » 3D Design » Custom Phone Case
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Custom Phone Case [message #63396] Thu, 07 March 2013 00:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar Lukin  is currently offline Lukin
Go to all my models
So I was just browsing through all the different phone cases on the site and I noticed that it's pretty much only for the Iphone, so I figured I'd try to google for a 3D model of a phone case for my phone (Samsung Nexus S), so that I could make my own, but I couldn't find one.
So.. Now I'm wondering if someone has made their own model for a case of their phone, and if so, what should you focus on, what is the easiest way to get a base done? I highly doubt I'm alone about wanting to make a case for my specific phone, so if anyone could give me some pointers or take the time to make a simple tutorial, it would be highly appreciated. Razz
I'd try to make one and just test it out and make adjustments if it wasn't for the fact that I live in Sweden and the cost for shipping and the material cost would add up pretty quickly if I didn't get it right the first few times.
Re: Custom Phone Case [message #63412 is a reply to message #63396 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 07:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Whenever I want make a duplicate of an actual object that has complex curves I get it 3D scanned. Once you have the scan you can then take that 3D model and make a case design built around it. When it comes to digital 3D that's the only way to do it without a bunch of time and money spent on research and development. You can try to take measurements by hand with a digital caliper and whatnot, but if you make a mistake, that then will cost you more than just getting it right the first time with a 3D scan.

I'd look in your local business directory and find out who does 3D scanning in your area and then just take your phone in and have it scanned. I'd shop around cuz the prices for 3D scanning vary greatly.

The cool thing is, once you get a fully functional design you can then SELL IT! Very Happy So, though you may spend more than you'd want initially, you may be able to eventually make a profit off the design, depending on how popular the phone is.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Custom Phone Case [message #63417 is a reply to message #63412 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 08:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There are so many iPhone cases available because:

1. Lots of demand;
2. The shape is relative simple - basically a slab with rounded corners, no compound curves;
3. The 'blueprints' are published by Apple on their website, so apart from the radius of the curves no guessing/measuring required.

So, unless you can get your phone scanned (which is an excellent idea, but sadly not available to me) try to find some technical drawings as a good start. A brief Google on my part was not successful, but maybe you would be more motivated....

Good luck!
Re: Custom Phone Case [message #63423 is a reply to message #63396 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 11:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Lukin  is currently offline Lukin
Go to all my models
Ugh.. I feared 3D scanning had to be the best option, but I can't seem to find a place where I can get a 3D scan anywhere relatively close to me sadly. I found 2 models of my phone now, although I am not sure how accurate they are, guess I might try and make some measurements.

Previous Topic:Non-Manifold out of nowhere?
Next Topic:UNIDADES BLENDER

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.