Question: way to reduce my model cost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 32915_deleted, Mar 5, 2013.

1. 32915_deleted
    32915_deleted Member
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Model is not publicly viewable. :)

3. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    carve ornament on the back wall :)

4. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    I can't tell how thick your model is. In general for WSF I've found 1.3mm to be a pretty good thickness. It's fairly strong and I suspect for a clip would be good. This does depend how much force will be on that clip but its a good stiffness for a lot of objects.

5. 32915_deleted
    32915_deleted Member
    Thanks!
    Right now I have this at 2mm as I was following the guidelines for wall thickness.

There will be very little force on this if at all and essentially is just holding a few paper tubes with a ball on the end inside a pouch (I will probably have 6 of these)

In looking at the instructions on the materials page it almost looks like I could go to 1mm?
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the double posts.

6. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    you can go down 0.7mm wallthickness in unpolished. But for your design I wouldn't go below 1mm.

7. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    Cutting out some cool patterns makes most models more beatiful and less expensive, don't know if that would work on your model but i would give it a try given the pricing on this.

8. What Type of Plastic are you trying to use ?? I see sandstone is a little cheaper

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    Sandstone isn't a plastic - it's non-flexible and fairly brittle. Not suitable for a clip :)

Bart