Home » Community » General Discussion » Automatic orthographic to 3d model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Automatic orthographic to 3d model [message #63215] Mon, 04 March 2013 21:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar mlhaden  is currently offline mlhaden
Go to my shop
I've seen plenty of 3d modeling programs that are able to take an existing 3d model and produce orthographic views.
Does there exist an algorithm that lets you classify the front, back, top, bottom, left & right of a photo or drawing that recreates a 3d representation of those orthographic views?
Re: Automatic orthographic to 3d model [message #63223 is a reply to message #63215 ] Mon, 04 March 2013 22:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
You could try http://www.123dapp.com/catch
You would need more than just the orthographic views.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Automatic orthographic to 3d model [message #63225 is a reply to message #63223 ] Mon, 04 March 2013 22:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The technical term for this is photogrammetry.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Automatic orthographic to 3d model [message #63227 is a reply to message #63223 ] Mon, 04 March 2013 22:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Overall, the answer is "no". There's not enough information in the orthographic views. It's a subject I've chased for 30+ years.
The core issue is that an orthographic view will not properly represent any concave surfaces.
On the other hand, a large number of models in my shop were built (by hand) from nothing more than the orthographic views.
I convert the bitmaps to vector drawings using Corel or Inkscape, then import the 3 views into (editor of my choice) and go to work extruding and intersecting.

If you take the trivial example of a football.. the 3 view would be two ovals and a circle.
If you simply extrude those and then apply a "intersection" operator, this is what you are left with.
index.php?t=getfile&id=28448&private=0
Now, if you can obtain slices... where you have many more than just 3 views.. you might get somewhere.

I built this model using such a method, because I had the cross sections:

• Attachment: football.jpg
    (Size: 49.58KB, Downloaded 92 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 04 March 2013 22:36 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Automatic orthographic to 3d model [message #63237 is a reply to message #63227 ] Tue, 05 March 2013 00:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Adding to what Stony has said, there is one way that I know of to automatically do what he has described and that is by using Pixologic's ShadowBox command in Zbrush. It would come out looking exactly like Stony's image for a football, but it does it automatically using the three reference images. It also lets you make adjustments by drawing on the reference images and it updates whatever you draw in real time.

Then again, it doesn't take much effort to extrude and then make an intersection out of the three extrusions.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Automatic orthographic to 3d model [message #63238 is a reply to message #63215 ] Tue, 05 March 2013 00:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GarySG  is currently offline GarySG
Go to my shop
Check out 123D by Autodesk. You won't get away with using just those views, but it will convert images into a 3D model if you have enough of them of good quality Very Happy

"Hm, I'm so hungry I could eat an entire cow. Gerard, fire up the printer!"

Previous Topic:software that automatically check the minimum wall thickness
Next Topic:iPhone 4S case

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.