Missed and wrong Piece after Upload

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 304102_deleted, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Hi at all,
    i have made a 3D Object from a piece. But when i upload the image, a hole is closed and a little piece is missed. (Picture)

Whats going on? Can you help me please?

Thank you very much! Best regards.

Software: Cinema 3D
    Uploade File: STL

Pics:
    Cinema 4D + Shapeways interpretation
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-03-02 um 21.39.24.png

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    The hole is closed because the software Shapeways uses will automatically close all holes, in doing so it may delete other parts. Your model may just need to be repaired manually.
    It may be easier to send your STL file by PM or my email address.

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Another thing to try would be sending it to the cloud. It's a supercomputer living in the clouds that fixes stuff! HAHA! :p

Go here

It's very impressive what it can fix! Give it a try and you may have your part back in seconds as a perfectly usable STL.

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Sorry I was not able to fix your file.
    I have uploaded the image so you can understand what is wrong.
    Models have to have a thickness, not just a 'skin'. The models normals need to be pointing in the right direction. So Shapeways knows which is inside and outside. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_(geometry)
    Models need to be manifold or watertight. In other words if you filled the inside of your model with water it would not leak. By the inside I mean inside the walls, which must have minimum thickness dependent on the material.
    The other thing is the smoothness of your model. The amount of facets you have around circular objects. Try to increase this.
    It may look smooth in your software but the file you upload may be different. Open your model In Netfabb WYSIWYG
    The image is a screenshot of Autodesk Inventor Fusion http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/fusion which is free
    The Microsoft Windows compatible technology preview executable expires on April 1, 2013.
    The Mac App Store version of the technology preview has no expiration date.

image1.png

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. Tank you very much!

I will test it!

Best regards!!!