Sprint car

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by miaka618, Mar 2, 2013.

1. miaka618
    miaka618 Member
    So I'm a bit of a racing brat, my dad raced sprint cars up until a few years ago, but I still hit the tracks with my son every summer. I thought it would be nice to make little nick knacks for the racing boys they could sell to the fans. My goal was to make the model around 10 dollars, which is about the price of the diecast models they sell at the gift trailer. (Mind you, these models are the mass produced kind. None of the local drivers have their own diecasts for sale.) Obviously these models won't have any of the sponsor decals and decorations the diecasts have and I don't see how it is even possible to add stickers to the WSF material and make they stay. The only thing I can really do for them is to add their number on the wing. Anyway, I made 2 sizes of this model, a bigger one which comes out to just over 5cm in length, and a smaller one to be printed out in Frosted Ultra Detail which is just under 3cm.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are any of you racing fans? Are these things people might like? I already ordered a couple. The number 200 is the number my son wanted on the car. :p The wheels do rotate...but this is my first time printing something with moving parts, so I'm hoping for the best.

If these work out and drivers are interested, I might make a larger, more detailed model where the steering wheel will turn as well, but I can't imaging how much it would end up costing. Perhaps in the 50 dollar range...

2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Why so crowded , why not having the number on the front of the car and eliminate the crowding top ? Looks too messy to my eyes!

3. miaka618
    miaka618 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean. This is what a sprint car looks like:

[​IMG]

The top wing has a hydraulic so the angle can be adjusted based on the condition of the track. It is there to help keep the cars from flipping over. Watch some videos of sprint cars without the wings. The crashes of those cars are crazy.