Crawling Hand - "The Thing"

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by BenTaubert, Mar 2, 2013.

1. BenTaubert
    BenTaubert Member
    Hi everyone!

I'm rather new to the whole creating models for fun thing, as it's always been project related when I get things 3D printed.

As you can imagine I was super excited to get this thing back! I wasn't sure if i'd be opening a box of broken nylon toothpicks or the strange lattice hand I sent off to shapeways. I was thrilled when I opened the (excessively well packaged) box, it turned out just perfect!

The next challenge was to dye the thing red. I had read up a bit about dying the WSF material, but wasn't sure if my thin wire-frame design would just melt or warp at a certain temperature. I ended up using Red "iDye" fabric dye, heating up the water to 65 degrees C in the kettle, and soaking the hand for around 6 minutes. Checking the colour every minute or so. This worked perfectly, the colour turned out a nice vibrant, consistent red.

Anyway, enough blabber for now. Enjoy a few photos of "The Thing", before and after dying :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check it out in my shop for more photos and information!
    http://shpws.me/nhG1

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. That is so cool! This has been book marked! Let's see if I can convince my wife that we 'need' one

3. BenTaubert
    BenTaubert Member
    Thank you!
    Haha yes, it's definitely a necessity!

4. jeff
    jeff Member
    great work and images, you should have fun more often!

how about a pic of it sticking out of your sleeve in place of your real hand. ;)