Home » Support » 3D Printing » How to Print Interlocking Parts? Also, which material?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to Print Interlocking Parts? Also, which material? [message #63059] Fri, 01 March 2013 20:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar vaguelygenius  is currently offline vaguelygenius
Go to my shop
Hello! I've made a 3D model i want to print and it's my first time ever getting something printed. I tried uploading this model all together so the pointers will print attached to the main body, but Shapeways did not like it and rejected the design. However, it seemed fine when I tried uploading the part separately. What can I do to get this printed all together?

index.php?t=getfile&id=28293&private=0

Also, I'm not entirely sure what material I should be picking. I'm mostly concerned with it withstanding some light banging since it is a prop, and to have a nice and smooth surface, since it's mostly curves. Any advice? I was looking at Polished WSF, hoping it won't round out the points too much...

Re: How to Print Interlocking Parts? Also, which material? [message #63060 is a reply to message #63059 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 20:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Make sure your gaps are at least .5mm to prevent fusing. Polishing will dull your points but not a whole lot. I actually got some pointy parts the other day in polished dyed nylon, and they are still pretty sharp.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How to Print Interlocking Parts? Also, which material? [message #63062 is a reply to message #63060 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 21:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar vaguelygenius  is currently offline vaguelygenius
Go to my shop
Thanks for your quick reply, but I went back and made sure that there was .5mm clearance between the parts and the system still rejected it... ): I uploaded it as a .wrl file because exporting it as an STL file in Solidworks makes every component a separate file, preventing them from interlocking...

Previous Topic:Ceramical questions...
Next Topic:Hollowing out does not change price

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.