Home » Support » 3D Printing » Hollowing out does not change price
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollowing out does not change price [message #62903] Thu, 28 February 2013 01:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar Shef_  is currently offline Shef_
Go to my shop
Hi,
I'm working on a case for the iPod nano 6 that would essentially turn it into a pocketwatch. The problem is that since the case needs to be 6cm diameter (the diagonal of the ipod), it ends up being almost $50 for the case.

I went back to blender, and started hollowing it out (by adding meshes inside the mesh itself, essentially making it hollow), but the price does not change one cent.

I'm talking about WSF, not some fancy material, how does something like that end up being so expensive? and why does hollowing it out not affect anything?

Thanks,

-Sss
Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #62916 is a reply to message #62903 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 06:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If your model were a solid 6 cm dia x 1 cm thick, it would be a little over 28cc & under $50 - are the units of measurement and the dimensions correct on the model page?

For hollowing out, you need to connect the inner shell to the outer shell with a tunnel or hole that forms the 'escape hole' for the support material after printing - no escape hole = not hollow model.

Paul

Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #62917 is a reply to message #62916 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 07:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to this whole thing (even though I've been subscribed for so long, I didn't really think about it).

I did calculate it to be approximately 50, too. I have a question then, if it's alright to ask.

i.materialize seems to have options in about the same sizes for a much lower price, how are they able to do this, then? Is the quality different?

(Is it alright that I ask about a competitor on here? I'm simply curious.)

I'll try again tomorrow with a hollow model.

Oh, last question: how big should the hole be?

Thanks,

-Sss.
Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #62926 is a reply to message #62917 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 09:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
From Strong & Flexible design guidelines
"Min Escape Hole: 4mm (1 hole), 2mm (2 holes), Big models (multiple holes)"

I haven't a clue about i.materialise's pricing Rolling Eyes

Paul

Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #62928 is a reply to message #62917 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 09:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Oops, too slow--->

Quote:

Oh, last question: how big should the hole be?

For hole size for Strong and Flexible plastic (polished and unpoilshed) (Strong and Flexible Design Guidelines):

Min Escape Hole: 4mm (1 hole), 2mm (2 holes), Big models (multiple holes)

Quote:

I have a question then, if it's alright to ask.

i.materialize seems to have options in about the same sizes for a much lower price, how are they able to do this, then? Is the quality different?

Have you checked that you are comparing like with like? In the past, for a same sized model in the same or similar material, my experience is that they are more expensive. If this has indeed changed, that would be interesting.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 February 2013 09:10 UTC]

Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #62929 is a reply to message #62928 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 09:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
As an example (just checked) my Potentiometer Scales from Shapeways cost 9.82 eur in wsf and 11.94 eur in Alumide.

From the other site, the same .stl file gives prices of 12.50 eur and 15.00 eur respectively (assuming that wsf equates to PolyAmide and Alumeide is the same on both sites).

This does not take into account any volume (bounding box packing) discounts.
Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #63003 is a reply to message #62928 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 05:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
So, i.materialise's pricing seems to be a different model: If it fits within a certain volume, it gets x price, no matter the actual volume.

The scales you showed and my pocketwatch both fit within the 125cm^3 volume, so they get charged the same no matter what.

I'm staying with shapeways though, as the quality is apparently better and the detail is nicer, and that's what's the most important to me. Plus the fact that the price for shipping totally kills their price advantage over shapeways, so it's not even that much of a difference at the end.

Anyways, what materials would you guys think an ipod cover/pocketwatch should be made out of? I'm planning for WSF or CSF, seeing as it does need to safely hold an ipod, but I don't know much about this.

Thanks,

-Sss
Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #63033 is a reply to message #62903 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 16:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
with the volume not changing I wonder if it the face normals are not correctly oriented.they are very important for defining material volume.you can attach the blend file here in a post if you want someone to take a look at it.The Solidify mod is nice for creating wall thickness in Blender

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #63075 is a reply to message #63033 ] Sat, 02 March 2013 00:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I figured out how to hollow it! Thanks everyone! I'll make a few more adjustments then post it in WIPs.

Right now I'm just waiting for blender to start responding again (I accidentally clicked on skin instead of solidify in a highly subsurfed model Crying or Very Sad
Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #63077 is a reply to message #63033 ] Sat, 02 March 2013 01:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Fredd wrote on Fri, 01 March 2013 16:12

with the volume not changing I wonder if it the face normals are not correctly oriented.they are very important for defining material volume.you can attach the blend file here in a post if you want someone to take a look at it.The Solidify mod is nice for creating wall thickness in Blender

Really?

Shapeways Mesh Medic sorts out the normals Wink

Paul
Re: Hollowing out does not change price [message #63080 is a reply to message #63077 ] Sat, 02 March 2013 03:14 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
So I'm almost done. Front face is completely finished, back face still needs a bit of work, because I'm not sure what to put on there. I'll post a render later this evening (PST).

Previous Topic:How to Print Interlocking Parts? Also, which material?
Next Topic:Blender .x3d and Full Colour Sanstone (FCS)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.