Some assistance needed to get started.

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 312032_deleted, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I have no idea what I'm doing as far as altering and maintaining the fine details for the Shapeways upload tool. I have tons of OBJ files just begging to be printed but I can't get the damn thing to work. I've gotten just about every error message possible at this point so something I'm doing is wrong and anyone willing to take a look at my file and see if they can work some magic would be awesome.

I don't need an artist, I just need someone who understands this system who can help me get off the ground, and for that I'd be willing to employ.

thank you.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Download the free "netfabb studio basic" from netfabb.com to check and repair your files before uploading.
    This will also show you the size of your models and allow you to rescale them in case they are too big or too
    small to be printed. If nothing helps, post a message in the "Suppor/t3D design" forum and.attach the smallest
    and/or most simple of your problem files to it.

3. Mkroeker, You're awesome!
    I got the netfabb studio basic program and went through the auto fixes, it looks pretty good but Shapeways keeps blasting my email with an error. I guess my model is too small. I have no idea how to fix this as my model is not too small, not by a long shot. I suppose I'll go to the support section later when I have more time and see what I can figure out.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    No need to guess - you should see the dimensions of your model in netfabb, right on the main screen.
    What is the error message you get - does it mention a specific problem, or just the dreaded "your model needs
    a bit more love" ? (Also check that your model is below the shapeways limit of one million triangles - you will
    see this in the output of the "standard analysis" available from the "Extras/New Analysis" menu)

5. solid_modeler
    solid_modeler Member
    One thing you may want to check to is that the kind of units you used in the model and the units you are importing your model as in Shapeways. I have uploaded an object I built in inches as a "millimeters" unit and that definitely screws things up.