Light permeable

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by QuintonHeckroth, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Currently I'm creating a small cube which will house a small LED or bulb. There is a small cut-out which will let the light escape, which will be covered by a thin piece of film (http://i28.tinypic.com/34dpues.jpg) - it's a little soppy but what the hell! :twisted:

My question is: Do the materials have varying levels of translucency? The last thing I want is for all the light to escape out of the material!

If worst comes to worst, is there anything I could line my housing with?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Quinton

2. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    The base material WSF (White, Strong, and Flexable) will easily let light escape. It's quite translucent. But a little paint can easily cure that.

3. Thanks WiKKiDWidgets for a quick response!

I was afraid that'd be the issue. So you're suggesting a quick lick of black paint on the inside, or perhaps coating it all?

Quinton

4. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Depending on your application, either will suffice. Albeit, I'd steer you towards painting it all as WSF has a very permeable surface and might let some paint bleed through if not sufficiently thick enough.

5. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    It won't soak in if you use a spray putty or primer first.

Every part I paint gets some 3 coats of spray putty and 1 coat of primer, rubbed back inbetween coats, before paint even touches it.

That said, light won't escape at all if your wall sections are 5mm+