Home » Community » General Discussion » Stupid Question : Case Building Development
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62529] Thu, 21 February 2013 16:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
I'm getting closer and closer to uploading and ordering an actual object... still not there (and with a newborn in the house, it might be a couple more months) but I had a question...

I am confused as to how you would create a case for something that you have dimensions or a 3D model for.

I am assuming the following...

1. Take/Build 3D object of item you are making case for
  2. Expand the object by roughly 1mm in every direction, of every surface.
  3. Now put THAT expanded object INSIDE of an object roughly the size the finished case you want
  4. Shape the case object
  5. Make sure the finished case has minimum wall thicknesses
  6. Delete the expanded object inside of the case
  7. Clean up and voila! Finished case 3D model is done

I know this is an EXTREMELY simplistic process, but I am just trying to make sure I understand the basics.
My question is... is this a working example of how you could design a case?
Are there better examples? Video tutorials? Help?

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62532 is a reply to message #62529 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
These tutorials will help you understand what is required.
http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/
Each software has it's own way of making a model hollow.
Blender uses a modifier called 'Solidify' which creates an inner 'skin', an input distance from the outer shell.
Autocad uses a command called 'shell' which does the same thing, by asking what the 'wall thickness' should be.
In each case a hole or tunnel has to be made to join the inside to the outside, otherwise Shapeways software will ignore all internal walls and treat the model as solid

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62539 is a reply to message #62532 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I understand the hollow process, I've dabbled (just enough) and know about hollowing out an object.
My problem is... in the instance of an iPhone case (for example) if I create a case and hollow it out automatically, it won't fit snug on the iPhone. There will be gaps and such.

If I want to make sure it fits, I would put the iPhone model inside of my finished case and CUT that size/shape of material OUT OF the Case object.

But it feels like this would still not fit, or work. I am hoping that someone who has designed a case like this could just verify with a 'Yeah, I do something like that...' or 'here's a video tutorial of how I do it.'

Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62542 is a reply to message #62539 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Use MeshLab.

Load up your object.
Click on the Filters tab--> Remeshing simplification.. --> Uniform mesh resampling
Set the Precision parameter to something smaller than the thickness difference you need (or the the size you need for the triangles to ensure a good print quality).
Set the offset value to the thickness differenece you need.

Save the resulting 'offset mesh' and chop it up as you see fit Smile

Paul

Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62544 is a reply to message #62539 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 19:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Yeah I thought you were referring to making a hollow shell too from reading your original description. CASE! As in an actual CASE! I see now! Very Happy

You're right, when you extend those surfaces it's not going to be perfect if you're using a polygonal modeler. If using a parametric solid modeler or direct solid modeler it may be more exact, but still if you want it to be absolutely perfect what you would do is model the object you're making a case for with the 1 mm offset designed in. At that point then you would design the case and do the boolean subtraction. Or, since you can run into problems when doing boolean operations, just design the case to be how you want it using your original object as a guide and avoid having to do booleans all together.

That's for absolutely perfect though. If just designing a phone case and not space shuttle parts, I would just go ahead and use the method you originally described. Unless your original object is super complex you shouldn't have a problem doing it in that way.

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing.  

James
Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62545 is a reply to message #62542 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 19:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Thu, 21 February 2013 18:45

Use MeshLab.

Load up your object.
Click on the Filters tab--> Remeshing simplification.. --> Uniform mesh resampling
Set the Precision parameter to something smaller than the thickness difference you need (or the the size you need for the triangles to ensure a good print quality).
Set the offset value to the thickness differenece you need.

Save the resulting 'offset mesh' and chop it up as you see fit Smile

Paul

I'll have to try this some time! I know Meshlab can do some pretty amazing stuff so I'm anxious to try this out. Surprised

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing.  

James
Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62547 is a reply to message #62545 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here is a thread about Iphones
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5395 9&#msg_53959
In the thread @webmaster_duann made cases to be downloaded free.
https://developer.apple.com/resources/cases/
https://developer.apple.com/resources/cases/dimensions/iPhon e-5-dimensions.pdf

[Updated on: Thu, 21 February 2013 19:44 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62549 is a reply to message #62547 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 19:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Blinkin' 'eck.

Now I'm confuddled.

Let;s recap.

I have an object as a 3D model.
I want to create another object that fits around the first object.

How?

That's how I understood it.
(soz if I got it wrong)

Paul
Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62550 is a reply to message #62539 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 20:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I thought he wanted an iphone case

My problem is... in the instance of an iPhone case (for example) if I create a case and hollow it out automatically, it won't fit snug on the iPhone. There will be gaps and such.

If I want to make sure it fits, I would put the iPhone model inside of my finished case and CUT that size/shape of material OUT OF the Case object.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62551 is a reply to message #62550 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 20:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
JACANT wrote on Thu, 21 February 2013 20:12

I thought he wanted an iphone case

I saw 'for example' and ignored the object. Confused

Re: Stupid Question : Case Building Development [message #62629 is a reply to message #62551 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 22:33 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thank you all...
I knew I was overthinking it or making it more difficult that it needs to be. Sweet...

Previous Topic:Wedding Contest - tags and searches
Next Topic:How to Capture 3D Models of People?