Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Which software programs open .x3db files
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62526] Thu, 21 February 2013 15:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar Camazine  is currently offline Camazine
Go to my shop
I was working with the Sake Set Creator and see that the files are output in .x3db format. I wanted to do some refinements to the object I created, and was wondering which software programs will open a file in .x3db format. It does not appear that blender or MeshLab will open these files. I am using Mac OSX so would prefer to know about Mac software, but would also be interested to know about Windows programs.
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62537 is a reply to message #62526 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
I just tried. It opened fine in Netfabb. It needed to be repaired.
It had 6016 shells and 6016 holes. Did an Automatic repair. OK 1 shell no holes but it had inverted normals. Pick shell, flip selected triangles. OK. Apply repair. You will need to export part now to a format you can work with.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/935814/zed.html free to download to try

[Updated on: Thu, 21 February 2013 18:09 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62538 is a reply to message #62537 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey Rob:

Thanks so much for your reply. I must have had an older version of NetFabb for Mac. When I opened the .x3db file it gave me an error message, "Read past end of file". After reading your message, I downloaded NetFabb again, and it opened just fine!

Much appreciated.

scott
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62587 is a reply to message #62538 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 11:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't know of any software that does, but you can use the free XJ3D toolkit to convert them to VRML files:

http://www.xj3d.org/

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62594 is a reply to message #62587 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 13:09 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Bart. However, the link you provided turns out to be dead. It leads here:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/xj3d//

Previous Topic:Does the customer really need to be refunded if there is an error...
Next Topic:new puzzle: the nodebox

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.