Back of Napkin to Model

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 309777_deleted, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Okay, I'm sure you've heard this before: I have a dozen "back of a napkin" ideas that I want to prototype in 3D and pitch. How can I get my sketches from the napkin into tangible 3D models?
    I'm an older dude with pretty good skills, but far from what you would consider a designer or maker. Although I'm proficient with digital audio and visual media, (I'm a filmmaker) I don't use any design software, but could learn.
    Please, your input is valuable, please steer me in the right direction.
    Thanks, Rob

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
  3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    If you learn Blender it also has (was actually designed for) tools to create images/movies/animation which might tie in with your background. Like Sketchup it is also FREE!

I don't know Sketchup and how easy it is to get to grips with: Blender is a little intimidating to begin, but you can soon produce something printable if you persevere.

People produce good models with both packages.

4. Thanks for these tips. I downloaded Sketchup and am looking at the tutorials. I'll check out Blender too. Other suggestions are welcomed! Thanks - this seems to be a great community.

5. I haven't really used sketchup before .. But have heard good things. I have used a few different programs, Even tho blender is a free software , with its latest few versions I prefer it to some of the other known... You can now do so much more with blender and getting them modeled and print ready . I agree with AmLachDesigns, its a little intimidating .. but there are tons of tutorials on line. and is well worth the learning process