Home » Community » Introductions » Back of Napkin to Model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Back of Napkin to Model [message #62356] Tue, 19 February 2013 02:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar McRob  is currently offline McRob
Go to all my models
Okay, I'm sure you've heard this before: I have a dozen "back of a napkin" ideas that I want to prototype in 3D and pitch. How can I get my sketches from the napkin into tangible 3D models?
I'm an older dude with pretty good skills, but far from what you would consider a designer or maker. Although I'm proficient with digital audio and visual media, (I'm a filmmaker) I don't use any design software, but could learn.
Please, your input is valuable, please steer me in the right direction.
Thanks, Rob
Re: Back of Napkin to Model [message #62360 is a reply to message #62356 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 05:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
You might start with something simple like Sketchup http://www.sketchup.com/

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Back of Napkin to Model [message #62464 is a reply to message #62360 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 15:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
If you learn Blender it also has (was actually designed for) tools to create images/movies/animation which might tie in with your background. Like Sketchup it is also FREE!

I don't know Sketchup and how easy it is to get to grips with: Blender is a little intimidating to begin, but you can soon produce something printable if you persevere.

People produce good models with both packages.
Re: Back of Napkin to Model [message #62467 is a reply to message #62356 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 16:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar McRob  is currently offline McRob
Go to all my models
Thanks for these tips. I downloaded Sketchup and am looking at the tutorials. I'll check out Blender too. Other suggestions are welcomed! Thanks - this seems to be a great community.
Re: Back of Napkin to Model [message #62779 is a reply to message #62467 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 19:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Tjsolo  is currently offline Tjsolo
Go to my shop
I haven't really used sketchup before .. But have heard good things. I have used a few different programs, Even tho blender is a free software , with its latest few versions I prefer it to some of the other known... You can now do so much more with blender and getting them modeled and print ready . I agree with AmLachDesigns, its a little intimidating .. but there are tons of tutorials on line. and is well worth the learning process

Tj Solo

Previous Topic:Greetings from a 3D printer junkie based in China
Next Topic:My new shop - decorate