Home » Community » General Discussion » Does transparent detail use wax?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62257] Sun, 17 February 2013 21:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar GarySG  is currently offline GarySG
Go to my shop
I know that FD and FUD plastics use a wax support that is then drained out, but currently I'm working on a design that keeps that wax inside as a design feature, my question is, does the 'transparent detail' use the same wax supports inside?

"Hm, I'm so hungry I could eat an entire cow. Gerard, fire up the printer!"
Re: Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62267 is a reply to message #62257 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 23:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No, it is not "the same" wax, but YES, there is support material involved.
From what I've been able to understand, the Support Material used with TD, BD and WD is simply the same material as the main model, but it is simply "uncured" material. On my models it's had more the consistency of gelatin than wax.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62271 is a reply to message #62267 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 23:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GarySG  is currently offline GarySG
Go to my shop
If it were left inside my model, would it stand out and be defined? A design I'm working on is solely possible if one of the materials has defined contours inside it, due to the wax/whatever material might be the case.

"Hm, I'm so hungry I could eat an entire cow. Gerard, fire up the printer!"
Re: Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62272 is a reply to message #62267 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 00:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You can learn more about Objet transparent materials here.

I don't think Shapeways will let you encapsulate the support material though. That would be breaking the design rules and would result in a rejection.

Shapeways does high volume 3D printing, consequently, they need to have everyone stick to the design rules so the thousands of items they are 3D printing each day can flow without hangups. If you really need to encapsulate the support material you might get away with negotiating with one the low volume 3D printing service bureaus that also use Objet machines, however, you're going to pay more since Shapeways' high volume lets them beat everyone's rates.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62273 is a reply to message #62271 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 00:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
GairBear66 wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 23:49

If it were left inside my model, would it stand out and be defined? A design I'm working on is solely possible if one of the materials has defined contours inside it, due to the wax/whatever material might be the case.

You replied just as I replied. Very Happy I see what you're thinking of doing now. Shapeways doesn't offer the service at this time, but the cool thing about Objet machines is they can 3D print in a number of materials at the same time. Look for other 3D printing service bureaus that offer Objet simultaneous multiple material 3D printing.

Or, what you might try is printing your model hollow at Shapeways and then fill it with some kind of colored liquid or resin to obtain the same effect.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62288 is a reply to message #62273 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 08:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Check out this thread 60872
Re: Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62289 is a reply to message #62288 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 08:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Also in this thread.
Bart, any update on how this is seen at shapeways ?
Re: Does transparent detail use wax? [message #62299 is a reply to message #62271 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 10:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A comparison of TD & FUD

Transparent Detail with trapped support material (uncured resin) backlit with an LED
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_193270_116386_1338413386.jpg

The same model at 1/2 scale in FUD
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_247466_127133_1338413387.jpg

Paul

Previous Topic:translucent material?
Next Topic:The "Has Printed Successfully" Flag is Currently Counterproductive

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.