Does transparent detail use wax?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarySG, Feb 17, 2013.

1. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    I know that FD and FUD plastics use a wax support that is then drained out, but currently I'm working on a design that keeps that wax inside as a design feature, my question is, does the 'transparent detail' use the same wax supports inside?

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    No, it is not "the same" wax, but YES, there is support material involved.
    From what I've been able to understand, the Support Material used with TD, BD and WD is simply the same material as the main model, but it is simply "uncured" material. On my models it's had more the consistency of gelatin than wax.

3. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    If it were left inside my model, would it stand out and be defined? A design I'm working on is solely possible if one of the materials has defined contours inside it, due to the wax/whatever material might be the case.

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    You can learn more about Objet transparent materials here.

I don't think Shapeways will let you encapsulate the support material though. That would be breaking the design rules and would result in a rejection.

Shapeways does high volume 3D printing, consequently, they need to have everyone stick to the design rules so the thousands of items they are 3D printing each day can flow without hangups. If you really need to encapsulate the support material you might get away with negotiating with one the low volume 3D printing service bureaus that also use Objet machines, however, you're going to pay more since Shapeways' high volume lets them beat everyone's rates.

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    You replied just as I replied. :D I see what you're thinking of doing now. Shapeways doesn't offer the service at this time, but the cool thing about Objet machines is they can 3D print in a number of materials at the same time. Look for other 3D printing service bureaus that offer Objet simultaneous multiple material 3D printing.

Or, what you might try is printing your model hollow at Shapeways and then fill it with some kind of colored liquid or resin to obtain the same effect.

6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Check out this thread 60872

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Also in this thread.
    Bart, any update on how this is seen at shapeways ?

8. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member