Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Which Adhesives Work?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Which Adhesives Work? [message #6062] Wed, 26 August 2009 15:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
Does anyone know which adhesives are best for gluing SWF and White Detail together and to other materials, namely plastic.

Will superglue dissolve them? Will plastic cement melt them enough to glue to other plastics? Will epoxy resin work?

Sorry I have so many questions and no answers, I just don't want my creations dissolving into a molten mess of plastic!

Kindest Regards, Jack
Re: Which Adhesives Work? [message #6064 is a reply to message #6062 ] Wed, 26 August 2009 18:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
Shocked

Funny you should ask that. I didn;t even think it might be an issue. but I just now used Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) on some WSF and it works fine. Albeit, I would warn against using any accelerators. The heat those generate would probably melt WSF.
Re: Which Adhesives Work? [message #6070 is a reply to message #6064 ] Wed, 26 August 2009 21:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
That's good news as that is what I normally use, also means I should be able to glue it to metal etc

Thanks for letting me know!

Regards, Jack
Re: Which Adhesives Work? [message #6107 is a reply to message #6064 ] Thu, 27 August 2009 23:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
WiKKiDWidgets wrote on Wed, 26 August 2009 18:23

Shocked

Funny you should ask that. I didn;t even think it might be an issue. but I just now used Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) on some WSF and it works fine. Albeit, I would warn against using any accelerators. The heat those generate would probably melt WSF.

Hehe, they do get quite warm, but they are fine to use on SLS, which can take over 150 C before it starts putting up a fuss.

My job would certainly be many times more frustrating if I couldn't use cyanoacrylate accelerants.

Previous Topic:WSF as a simulation of porcelain
Next Topic:shoe heel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.