Home » Support » 3D Design » Design, structurally sound
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Design, structurally sound [message #62189] Sat, 16 February 2013 18:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar bleskowsky  is currently offline bleskowsky
Go to all my models
My first post, quick question

From a design point of view, how structurally sound is a wall 1 mm thick for let's say Strong and Flexible material?

For example, let's say you modeled a tray for Strong and Flexible material with the following bounding box dimensions: 9cm x 5cm x 2cm. Would a wall of 1mm thickness be too brittle? Warping shouldn't be an issue since the thickness-length ration should be fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 18:07 UTC]

Re: Design, structurally sound [message #62196 is a reply to message #62189 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Strong and Flexible is anything but "brittle". "Pliable" is a better term for it.
The S&F materials are PA22 Nylon. There's a video on Youtube showing a credit-card sized peice being flexed without breakage.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Design, structurally sound [message #62211 is a reply to message #62196 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 01:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bleskowsky  is currently offline bleskowsky
Go to all my models
That's good to know. I will design my next model accordingly.

Thanks again!

Previous Topic:Programmable LED Lights?
Next Topic:How do I make it hollow?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.