Home » Support » 3D Design » Design, structurally sound
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Design, structurally sound [message #62189] Sat, 16 February 2013 18:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar bleskowsky  is currently offline bleskowsky
Go to all my models
My first post, quick question

From a design point of view, how structurally sound is a wall 1 mm thick for let's say Strong and Flexible material?

For example, let's say you modeled a tray for Strong and Flexible material with the following bounding box dimensions: 9cm x 5cm x 2cm. Would a wall of 1mm thickness be too brittle? Warping shouldn't be an issue since the thickness-length ration should be fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 18:07 UTC]

Re: Design, structurally sound [message #62196 is a reply to message #62189 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Strong and Flexible is anything but "brittle". "Pliable" is a better term for it.
The S&F materials are PA22 Nylon. There's a video on Youtube showing a credit-card sized peice being flexed without breakage.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Design, structurally sound [message #62211 is a reply to message #62196 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 01:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bleskowsky  is currently offline bleskowsky
Go to all my models
That's good to know. I will design my next model accordingly.

Thanks again!

Previous Topic:Programmable LED Lights?
Next Topic:How do I make it hollow?