Home » Support » 3D Printing » Is the stainless steel material magnetic?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62129] Fri, 15 February 2013 18:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar yorickt  is currently offline yorickt
Go to all my models
Hi all,

short question: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? I read that steel is magnetic generally but in stainless steel there are other chemicals to stop corrosion which may make it non-magnetic. Anyone knows or already has a model to try?

BIG THANKS!

Cheers,
George
Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62131 is a reply to message #62129 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Our Stainless is infused with bronze, and is able to be magnetized. I've even seen reports of pieces being shipped pre-magnetized as a byproduct of one of the processes.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62140 is a reply to message #62131 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So if I make a piece out of the stainless steel, magnets will attract it?
So I dont speak about making a magnet out of the steel model, but attracting it with magnets.

Thanks for the quick response Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 15 February 2013 22:45 UTC]

Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62181 is a reply to message #62140 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 11:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff is currently online stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapeways stainless has about 40% of the magnetic susceptability of mild steel.
The surface of a flat surface is not flat when printed, there are some surface imperfections.
The iregularity of the surface reduces the 'magnetic stick' a bit, 50kg 'pulling power' neos might only be 15kgs worth overall.

Paul

Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62186 is a reply to message #62181 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 12:54 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Hi,

thanks for that answer, you really helped me! I actually realized that it will be far to expensive for me to print this in steel unfortunately Sad I already uploaded it and that would cost 2400€ Confused Its not difficult to print but its a little bigger...

Thanks for the support anyways! Smile

Cheers!

EDIT:
Now at 108€ but cant save anywhere anymore Very Happy Bummer! Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 13:18 UTC]

Previous Topic:Best cleaning methods
Next Topic:HELP - Problem Uploading UV Mapped Model for Color Printing