Home » Support » 3D Printing » Is the stainless steel material magnetic?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62129] Fri, 15 February 2013 18:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar yorickt  is currently offline yorickt
Go to all my models
Hi all,

short question: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? I read that steel is magnetic generally but in stainless steel there are other chemicals to stop corrosion which may make it non-magnetic. Anyone knows or already has a model to try?

BIG THANKS!

Cheers,
George
Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62131 is a reply to message #62129 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Our Stainless is infused with bronze, and is able to be magnetized. I've even seen reports of pieces being shipped pre-magnetized as a byproduct of one of the processes.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62140 is a reply to message #62131 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So if I make a piece out of the stainless steel, magnets will attract it?
So I dont speak about making a magnet out of the steel model, but attracting it with magnets.

Thanks for the quick response Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 15 February 2013 22:45 UTC]

Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62181 is a reply to message #62140 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 11:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways stainless has about 40% of the magnetic susceptability of mild steel.
The surface of a flat surface is not flat when printed, there are some surface imperfections.
The iregularity of the surface reduces the 'magnetic stick' a bit, 50kg 'pulling power' neos might only be 15kgs worth overall.

Paul

Re: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? [message #62186 is a reply to message #62181 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 12:54 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Hi,

thanks for that answer, you really helped me! I actually realized that it will be far to expensive for me to print this in steel unfortunately Sad I already uploaded it and that would cost 2400€ Confused Its not difficult to print but its a little bigger...

Thanks for the support anyways! Smile

Cheers!

EDIT:
Now at 108€ but cant save anywhere anymore Very Happy Bummer! Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 13:18 UTC]

Previous Topic:Best cleaning methods
Next Topic:HELP - Problem Uploading UV Mapped Model for Color Printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.