Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Product Flexibility
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Product Flexibility [message #61987] Wed, 13 February 2013 20:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar kiano48187  is currently offline kiano48187
Go to all my models
I'm curious as to the flexibility of the material. I recently had a model printed and I was very pleased with it. However, for my next product design I need to be able to flex the model back and fourth a little and wanted to know how flexible is the material. Can it be made moderately strong and flexible instead of strong and flexible?

Thanks
Claude
Re: Product Flexibility [message #61992 is a reply to message #61987 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
"Strong and Flexible" is exactly what it says. It is flexible but strong. How much so will depend on how thick your item is, but even at a millimeter it is hard to break. At that thickness, it can also bend.

There have been some discussions here on how thin, various flexible items can or should be, Try searching through the forums.

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: Product Flexibility [message #61994 is a reply to message #61992 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 22:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Frosted Detail is quite flexible at 0.6-0.7mm thick; it acts and feels like Tupperwear.
Re: Product Flexibility [message #61996 is a reply to message #61987 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 22:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
I would advise against using FUD as anything that needs flex. It is, at its base, acrylic resin and will fracture when flexed. I did a video about how flexible WSF can be seen here I will be doing a video on hinges specifically in the not too distant future as well.

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways

Previous Topic:ProtoLabs Whitepaper on how to choose a prototyping process
Next Topic:Uploading work in shapeways