Home » Community » General Discussion » Point Me in the Direction? Toy Prototypes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Point Me in the Direction? Toy Prototypes [message #61819] Mon, 11 February 2013 20:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Orange Man  is currently offline Orange Man
Go to all my models
A lot of customers want me to make them toy versions of the 3d models I make. Due to the frequency of that request, I want to start "Getting my ducks in a row".

Last experience; I created a shapeways compatible model, price came out to 108$ for prototype. Well and good. Customer called another company who says they prefer to start with a clay figure and create molds based on that.

So my million dollar question:

In extending my 3d services to include toys, which connections should I have? What homework should I be doing right now?
Obviously shapeways is only a prototyping solution, so I'd like to know what you professionals do.

Thanks a lot! I love this place Very Happy.

http://www.clipartillustration.com/
Re: Point Me in the Direction? Toy Prototypes [message #61838 is a reply to message #61819 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 03:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That depends on your bank roll. If you have tens of thousands to spend on tooling up for each toy, then you'd want to consult the Thomas Register for plastic injection manufactures. The Thomas Register has been around for decades and is one of the top resources in the world for finding manufactures and suppliers.

On the other hand, if you don't have a huge bank roll, there is a step up from Shapeways and a step below the ultra high volume manufactures. Places like, Quickparts for example will tool up for a plastic injection short production run without spending a small fortune.

Then there is the do it yourself option. Where you use a company like Shapeways to make the molds for you and then use castible resins like those you can obtain from Smooth-on to mass produce your parts.

This last option is part of the revolution that is happening in manufacturing. A revolution cuz, just a few years ago you would have had to spend thousands of dollars at the least to get your hands on those molds, whereas now, with 3D printing becoming accessible to everyone, you can get those molds for a few hundred dollars or less.

Good luck with your endeavors. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Point Me in the Direction? Toy Prototypes [message #61840 is a reply to message #61838 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 03:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Orange Man  is currently offline Orange Man
Go to all my models
A wonderful reply which spares me from mountains of research and speculation. Thanks very much.

http://www.clipartillustration.com/

Previous Topic:I need your opinion for some 3d printed models
Next Topic:Remembering Ovidiu Opresco

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.