multiple holes in silver

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Keymaker, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    I have design which require creating as many holes as possible. So, how close they can be is determined by minimum wall thickens or they can be closer if the wall is not supporting wall?

And how small this holes can be?

Thanks

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    I asked our silver expert, and here's his anwer:

"When designing the holes, keep them over 0.3mm wide and make sure that the depth to width ratio is 1:1. The reason that we have this rule is the problems that can occur when we are making the plaster molds out of your model. All the holes that you design in your model will become walls in the plaster mold. As we create a complete "negative" of you model in plaster. We actually create a hole tree of models in plaster so we can cast multiple orders at once. When small holes become thin walls in the plaster they can break and the plaster can wander off through the whole tree that we are casting at that moment. This can not only damage your own but also other models. So try to make sure that the holes are wide enough and the ratio of the width and the depth of the hole is 1:1."

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,

Bart

3. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    yes, thank you. this answered my second question.

to sum up. Smallest hole can be 0,31x0,31 and the smallest wall between holes is 0,6 (0,8 ). Am i right?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Yep that is correct. Of course the wall thickness is also dependent on the length of the wall, but the smallest thickness in regular Silver is 0.6mm indeed.

Cheers,

Bart