Home » Community » General Discussion » Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars?
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61604] Fri, 08 February 2013 15:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
index.php?t=getfile&id=26882&private=0

Okay, it's weekend - time for some fun! Curiosity spotted an interesting looking piece of metal on Mars. What is it?

We'd like YOU to tell us. You have until Monday morning 10:00, GMT+1 to come up with the answer.

How to enter

Model the Martian Mystery, upload it to your gallery, tag it with 'Weekend Contest: Mars' and post the link and picture here (upload the image, and click 'Insert image into message body' to embed it in your forum message).

Who wins?

You decide! Visit the model that you like most, and add it to your favorites. The model with the most votes wins.

What's the prize?

Eternal fame! Kudos from the Shapeways team! Riches! Okay, well, the winner will get a $25 gift certificate.

That's all?

Yep, grab a drink, goof around in your favorite modeling app this weekend and have fun!

Bart

PS: Curiosity's Twitter feed is awesome.

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61622 is a reply to message #61604 ] Fri, 08 February 2013 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/31/Marvinthemartain.jpg/200px-Marvinthemartain.jpg

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61624 is a reply to message #61604 ] Fri, 08 February 2013 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
index.php?t=getfile&id=26886&private=0

• Attachment: mars.jpg
    (Size: 111.03KB, Downloaded 446 time(s))

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61670 is a reply to message #61624 ] Sat, 09 February 2013 14:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
^^ Good ones! HAHAHA! Laughing

Actually, in all seriousness, I think I might know what that is. It's a Martian fulgurite. A fulgurite is sometimes what results when lightning strikes the ground. The high amperes melts the sand and gravel and turns it into glass.

[url= https://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&t bm=isch&q=fulgurite+glass&revid=1000229056&sa=X& amp;ei=TFoWUY6fMumuiAKv1IAY&ved=0CFEQgxY&biw=1429&am p;bih=706[/url]

Lighting has been detected on Mars created from the huge seasonal dust storms and the triboelectrification between dust particles. Mars also has ever changing sand dunes just like on earth. So, there was about 6 inches of sand at that spot at one point and then a lightning bolt struck there and melted the sand into a fulgurite and then the remaining sand eventually blew away revealing the fulgurite. The shiny spots, of course, would be from the glass.

On the other hand, it does appear to be the head of an encrusted titanium putter! Laughing

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61737 is a reply to message #61670 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 14:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
WAIT! IT'S NOT A FULGURITE!! IT'S PART OF A BICYCLE!!! LOOOK!!

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_917031_807597_1360506934.jpg

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_917031_807601_1360506946.jpg

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_917031_807602_1360506953.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/model/917031

WHAT GREAT CATACLYSM DESTROYED THEIR WORLD?!!! Crying or Very Sad

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61738 is a reply to message #61737 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 15:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
It is just a handle and the rock is secret door into martian underground city... nothing fancy

or just one old, buried index.php?t=getfile&id=26990&private=0 (created in hurry)

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61778 is a reply to message #61738 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 09:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I think UniverseBecoming is right! (And I don't want to believe in giant robots hidden there Wink. I've sent you a $25 coupon code via PM.

Do you guys think the weekend contest is something we should do more often?

Cheers,

Bart

icon10.gif  Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61834 is a reply to message #61778 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 02:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
HAHAHA!!! Thanks Bart! Surprised

Now we need to call Richard Hoagland and see what he thinks it is. Laughing

Yes! A weekend contest would be great! This one was a hard one cuz there are only so many things that artifact can represent, yet more open ended contests would attract more participation. I would not have entered had it not later crossed my mind that it looked something like a bicycle pedal.

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61854 is a reply to message #61834 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 09:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Allright then! Do you have suggestions for new themes?

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61856 is a reply to message #61854 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 09:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes I do! But just rudimentary ideas at the moment. Let me think it out seriously for a day or two and I'll list them out here.

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61863 is a reply to message #61604 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 12:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I never got to work on my idea which was of a petrified Martian hand holding a full-size 1950's US car! (oh, the story behind that one!)

I think a week-end contest is a good idea, although ideally I'd like it to be a weekend-to-weekend contest... just not enough time in one weekend to sit down and work on something, especially if future contests involve more serious modeling.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61890 is a reply to message #61863 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey Glenn,

I think the weekend contests will/should be simple and fun. In the Blender community I once ran a contest that allowed people to make anything they wanted, but they could only use 10 cubes. The results were awesome:

http://www.blendernation.com/2012/06/18/weekend-mini-contest -winners/

That's the kind fo contests I'm thinking about doing..

Bart

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61895 is a reply to message #61604 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 17:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ha, and non-overlapping cubes at that! (Not ideal for printing, though Shocked )

Yes, that would be an awesome sort of contest for just one weekend.

Glenn

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61902 is a reply to message #61895 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 18:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign is currently online denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Bart,

In addition to fun 'artsy' challenges, how about some engineering/design questions?
-design something that snap fits
-design something with a living hinge(s)
-design something with a moving part(s)
-design a fabric-like mesh

These wouldn't even need to be entire models, but could be just a creative solution to that one problem. (Extra credit for documenting the design or making the model available to everybody.)

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61904 is a reply to message #61604 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sure, the possibilities are endless...

- design something that uses two Shapeways materials creatively (damn, I guess Kaetemi just won that one!)

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61921 is a reply to message #61904 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 03:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I like Denali's ideas best, cuz I'm more of the engineering type. By the way, that would be a good question for Shapeways' new Ask An Engineer video blog. Can a living hinge be made? What material comes closest to the properties of polypropylene and other similar plastics?

Though a super simple contest like you thought of Bart would be really fun, I cannot readily think of any simplified ideas at this time. Simple and elegant, perfect for a weekend of fun. Makes me think of the Eight queens puzzle, simple and fun. All I can think of along this line would be something like designing a device that uses a predefined magnet to do a predefined task.

The ideas I have are way too complex for a weekend I think, but still, these are a sampling of the kinds of things I think about every day that I think would be fun as contests.

Design the ultimate printability demonstration model. One of the biggest problems with 3D printing is getting to know and conforming to the design rules for each materiel. I'm thinking of a demonstration model that could be devised and printed that shows what can and cannot be readily done and then make it downloadable so people can use it for reference.

Using free software, find the best way to make a hollow shell of a predefined design.

Design a rocket that uses a predefined rocket motor that is completely 3D printed, including the recovery mechanisms.

A zarf for the modern age. Design a zarf that uses a predefined ceramic model as the cup.

Design a 3D printed flying machine using a predefined rubber-band.

Design a device that keeps time.

Design a device that uses hydraulics to preform a particular task.

Design a device that measures weight.

Design a mechanical computer.

Design a device that crosses a gap by its own self contained means.

As for Glenn's multiple materials idea, design solar powered ANYTHING that uses multiple materials.

James

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61940 is a reply to message #61921 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 08:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow! What a lot of great ideas!

UniverseBecoming wrote on Wed, 13 February 2013 03:38

Design the ultimate printability demonstration model. One of the biggest problems with 3D printing is getting to know and conforming to the design rules for each materiel. I'm thinking of a demonstration model that could be devised and printed that shows what can and cannot be readily done and then make it downloadable so people can use it for reference.

This, for me, is brilliant. If this resource could be available it would be so helpful to me, and I imagine, to many other designers both new and not so new. This should be the start of a new thread and I would suggest should be something that SW could usefully invest in, whether as a competition or just as marketing/education tools that they develop themselves.
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61945 is a reply to message #61940 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 10:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I love them!

@UniverseBecoming - that's a great idea for the AAE series, I'll discuss it with them. The idea for the ultimate printability demonstration model is so good, that we may want to turn that into another type of contest, thanks!

We'll start thinking about our next weekend challenge Smile

Bart

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61947 is a reply to message #61604 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 12:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, James, some great ideas there. I'm ashamed to say I actually had to look up what the hell a zarf was...!

Glenn

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61964 is a reply to message #61947 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 15:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks guys! Very Happy

When I was in my mid teens I decided one day that I wanted to start learning about words, so I started reading the dictionary. I started at the end cuz the Z words were the coolest! I read about one page before I got sick of the idea, but from that I learned the word ZARF, which stuck with me my whole life! HAHAHA! Laughing

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61970 is a reply to message #61964 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Freakin' hilarious! Just think if you'd managed to go a little further you could be an expert xylophone player now!

Glenn

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61971 is a reply to message #61970 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
^^ HAHAHA!! Laughing

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61975 is a reply to message #61970 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
lensman wrote on Wed, 13 February 2013 16:56

Freakin' hilarious! Just think if you'd managed to go a little further you could be an expert xylophone player now!

Glenn

I've seen these experts, playing with 4 (mallets?) at once. Not even if I had too much time on my hands Razz.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61980 is a reply to message #61604 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There you go, Bart - an idea for the competition - design the best sounding 3D printed musical instrument !

Glenn

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61981 is a reply to message #61604 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 18:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
lol as awesome as that would be, the only way to test it would be to print it. Delivery times aren't down to a weekend yet Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 13 February 2013 18:49 UTC]

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #61983 is a reply to message #61981 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
make it a bi-weekly or monthly contest, and arrange for the instruments to be played
together in Eindhoven and/or New York ?

PS: and the walls came tumbling down Very Happy
Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #62048 is a reply to message #61981 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 14:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 13 February 2013 18:49

lol as awesome as that would be, the only way to test it would be to print it. Delivery times aren't down to a weekend yet Wink

*yet* Smile

Re: Weekend Contest: What did Curiosity find on Mars? [message #62144 is a reply to message #61604 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 20:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey Guys,

We;ve got another weekend contest for you, check it out here:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12870& amp;start=0&

This one's from Mike!

Shapeways Community Manager

Previous Topic:Respect
Next Topic:Printing knives?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.