Home » Community » It arrived! » Painted Pen Holder
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Painted Pen Holder [message #61332] Mon, 04 February 2013 17:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar scientist2010  is currently offline scientist2010
Go to my shop
It's me again. Just yesterday I told about a coloring test with a spring.

Well, for the first time within the last few years I finished my sister's birthday present before her birthday. *cough*
Last year I did the silver fencing mask (that you can find in my shop) for her, but I started designing on her birthday itself, so no good timing.

I decided to paint the pen holder. It is designed to hold the pens in a comfortable angle and gets some stabilization from the wires (which I find appealing). Painting WSF is a bit like painting on silk, the color soaks through the material fast. This is responsible for those beautiful color changes.

I hope she will like it. She does not use Shapeways, that's why I can tell you :)

index.php?t=getfile&id=26670&private=0

Yours, Marie

• Attachment: 2.jpeg
    (Size: 54.01KB, Downloaded 198 time(s))

Re: Painted Pen Holder [message #61371 is a reply to message #61332 ] Tue, 05 February 2013 02:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Can you describe your painting process... paints used, any prep, finish added... curious minds want to know!

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Painted Pen Holder [message #61401 is a reply to message #61371 ] Tue, 05 February 2013 16:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Glenn, thanks for your interest!

Painting in this style is pretty easy. I just dug out the water colors I used at school (Pelikan, but anything works).
Then I started by tapping wet color on the dry object and made it soak around by adding some water to the edges of the color spot.
Use different colors and let them flow into each other (some human support needed) and your done.

You see, no preparation, fun, relatively fast process.
Of course you have to be careful as water colors are not water proof :) . I looked out for some finishing technique and found CWestbrook's tutorial (http://shpws.me/lmko) on sealing with Polyurethane varnish. I am going to try that.

That's it.

Yours, Marie
Re: Painted Pen Holder [message #61405 is a reply to message #61401 ] Tue, 05 February 2013 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Cool, thanks. Have a try with watered down acrylic paints. You wouldn't then have to put a top coat on if you didn't want to...

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Painted Pen Holder [message #61410 is a reply to message #61405 ] Tue, 05 February 2013 17:56 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
That's an interesting idea. I'll definitely try it and have a look how fast it soaks through the nylon.
Thank you,

Marie

Previous Topic:Beetle!
Next Topic:Car Wiper Blade Adapter

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.