Home » Community » General Discussion » materials available for printing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
materials available for printing [message #61245] Sat, 02 February 2013 21:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar BigRockForge  is currently offline BigRockForge
Go to all my models
I see that Shapeways offers stainless steel and sterling silver.. but how can I get something done in non-stainless... or 'mild steel'?
Re: materials available for printing [message #61248 is a reply to message #61245 ] Sat, 02 February 2013 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Shapeways 3D printed stainless steel is very strong and rigid with similar properties to 420 stainless steel, except it is infused with a bronze content of up to 30%. It has a slightly pitted surface finish for that vintage look.
Have a look at the 'Material Overview' and the 'Design Guidelines' if you want to make that sword hilt.
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: materials available for printing [message #61249 is a reply to message #61248 ] Sat, 02 February 2013 21:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
My main issue is that I would not be able to run it through the paces of my normal antique patination... as the stainless would be impervious to the acids that I use. But I can give it a shot with one and see how many 'years' I can put on one.
Re: materials available for printing [message #61251 is a reply to message #61249 ] Sat, 02 February 2013 22:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Bathsheba-Bob says give it a try. I don't know jack about metallurgy, but I've seen this metal rust...I don't think it comes out of the printer as stainless as it went in.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: materials available for printing [message #61255 is a reply to message #61251 ] Sun, 03 February 2013 00:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
okay... I just got a link with a better look at the finish and it is pretty nice. This could be pretty cool...

edit: actually.. this is blowing my mind with possibilities for my work. I need to get on a fast track to learning design.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2013 00:36 UTC]

Re: materials available for printing [message #61256 is a reply to message #61255 ] Sun, 03 February 2013 00:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
You have to think of it as a steel bronze mix (not alloy, but mix of small grains). It will rust sooner or later. See the crab demo.
Re: materials available for printing [message #61257 is a reply to message #61256 ] Sun, 03 February 2013 01:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
yes I see that now.... very interesting. The look will be nice for what I'm trying to do.

Previous Topic:Rubber like material
Next Topic:Lapel pin dimensions