Home »  » 3D Design » Screw design
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Screw design [message #61216] Fri, 01 February 2013 23:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar dennik  is currently offline dennik
Go to all my models
Have you guys found a screw design that works well with 3D printed models?
I have a model that looks like a flashlight encasing, about 2" in diameter, and I need to figure out what kind of screw threading would work that screws tight enough without breaking.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis
Re: Screw design [message #62421 is a reply to message #61216 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 22:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wiwa  is currently offline wiwa
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Dennis

Standard threaded features definitely won't work below size M6, and there is a good chance they will be oriented wrong in the print which will mess up the threading anyway.

What you can do to make threaded features work really well on 3D printed parts:

- Use ACME (trapezoidal) thread profile with a very large pitch, at least 6mm pitch (2mm+ thread width)
- Taper the thread 2 - 5 degrees
- Loosen the engagement slightly (80-90% engagement)

I have an example of a good working (smaller) thread that you can download here:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/885862/threaded-keychain.html
This thread is the same diameter as an M3 but will come out of the printer correctly in any orientation

This works well down for smaller threads (down to M3) and for larger diameter, fine pitch threads, where you want to make sure the thread will come out properly

[Updated on: Thu, 21 February 2013 18:37 UTC]

wiwa
Re: Screw design [message #62576 is a reply to message #62421 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 07:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Wiwa, I followed your link to download the example, but there is no download button. I'd like to take a look at your thread design. Thanks.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Screw design [message #62613 is a reply to message #61216 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 18:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Any of these designs can be produced in 3D.
Whether they are fit to be printed is really based on trial and error, and of course the size and the tolerance.

index.php?t=getfile&id=27846&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Screw design [message #62615 is a reply to message #62576 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 19:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wiwa  is currently offline wiwa
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Guys,

Sorry I moved the model around. I edited the original post to include the correct link.

@JACANT

Actually at small diameters under M6 these will not come out at all, and for larger diameters they will only come out if they are in a vertical orientation which we can't guarantee. They won't come out at larger diameters at other than vertical orientation because they will get squished during sintering. Here is a picture of two M8 screws, on the left printed vertically and on the right printed horizontally - note the one on the right is squished, and will not fit in an M8 hole.

That's why I recommend an extra large pitch ACME thread for any threads to be sintered. Having a large pitch and trapezoidal threads (importantly, thread spacing > 0.5mm and thread size > 0.5mm and resulting pitch >= 1mm) and loose engagement means the squishing will not make a difference in threading the piece. Actually many of those thread styles will work as well as ACME, as long as the pitch and thread size is suitable ( so for small diameters, a standard pitch / thread size particularly will not work and you'll have to adjust accordingly)

• Attachment: threads.jpg
    (Size: 93.78KB, Downloaded 77 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 22 February 2013 19:20 UTC]

wiwa
Re: Screw design [message #62642 is a reply to message #62615 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 05:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Wiwa,
No, still no download link.

Jacant,
Great info! I saved this to my "building stuff" directory on my hard drive for future reference. Thanks! Very Happy

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Screw design [message #62647 is a reply to message #62642 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 07:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Wiwa,

at the risk of seeming like an idiot .... have you checked the 'Allow Downloads' box at the bottom of your Edit Model page?
Re: Screw design [message #62663 is a reply to message #62647 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 19:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
It may work better and be easier to print if you use a 'Lamp holder screw thread' if your model looks like a flashlight encasing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_screw

index.php?t=getfile&id=27900&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Screw design [message #65109 is a reply to message #62615 ] Fri, 29 March 2013 09:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar niic  is currently offline niic
Go to all my models
Hi,

I am really interested in seeing the screw design that you mentioned was available for download ...but I also can't find the download link?

I am really knew to the 3D printing process so hoping to learn from others.

Thanks for any help.

Great info from everyone else as well.

Cheers all

Previous Topic:Lid hinge.
Next Topic:Support within Hollow Objects to withstand weight

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.