Home » Support » 3D Applications » face orientation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
face orientation [message #61071] Wed, 30 January 2013 16:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar tivnanr  is currently offline tivnanr
Go to my shop
I just uploaded a dae file I made in sketchup, and noticed that a few outward faces were not the same as the rest of the model. I know you can reverse faces in sketchup, but is that necessary for 3d printing?
Re: face orientation [message #61087 is a reply to message #61071 ] Thu, 31 January 2013 00:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Yes, it is best practice to orient all faces before uploading. Shapeways has an excellent internal tool for fixing meshes that may take care of the problem, but why risk it? Its simple in Sketchup....just right click a correctly oriented face and choose "Orient Faces".

If you use a Sketchup file for printing on a home printer or just about anywhere else, you will need to orient the faces correctly, so its best to just get in the habit. Smile

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: face orientation [message #61165 is a reply to message #61071 ] Fri, 01 February 2013 07:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Creating a nice looking model is an art. Creating one to print takes it to a higher scale.Give it love, lol.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Bounding Box too small
Next Topic:How to debug a model in Google Sketchup?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.