Home »  » 3D Applications » 3DS Max/Netfabb scale units issue
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3DS Max/Netfabb scale units issue [message #60986] Mon, 28 January 2013 20:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar ColdWarrior  is currently offline ColdWarrior
Go to all my models
I am modeing in 3DS Max. I check my models in Netfabb before I upload them. There seems to be some issue with the measurments going from Max to Netfabb. I have a file that Max measures H 266 mm, but when I export it from Max and open it in Netfabb it says it is 10.49 mm. I am getting annoyed trying to export my models hoping to get the right size when I open it in Netfabb. I guess if the conversion is the same ratio I guess I could do the math but that seems ridiculous. Any ideas?

TIA!
Re: 3DS Max/Netfabb scale units issue [message #60988 is a reply to message #60986 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
If you scale your model in NetFabb by 25.4 It will be correct. It seems you are exporting from 3Ds Max as inches
1" inch = 25.4mm
10.49 X 25.4 = 266.446

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: 3DS Max/Netfabb scale units issue [message #61008 is a reply to message #60986 ] Tue, 29 January 2013 03:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Upload at Sw by inch. Ignore the mm at the end of the numerical value NF adds. The 10.49 is the value that effects unit measurement you chose at upload.To simplify things, just export as a dae format.
When you assign unit measurement values in a program, at SW it recognizes this data for a dae file at upload
not a .stl or obj.For a dae you do not need to chose unit measurement at upload. For a test, create a 25.4mm^3cube,
I am willing to bet in netfab it shows up at as a 1mm^3 cube. 25.4mm=1 inch. Something that really helps to add less confusion to the process is to click standard analysis in netfabb.This will show you the units that the unit measurement choice at upload actually uses. Dimensions of 4x4x4 in it, you decide at upload you want them printed at mm,inch, or meter.

If you paid attention to the above, you can export as a stl to let netfabb or netcloud repair it with the model having same dimensions you modeled, wall thickness detail height, bounding box dimensions. Just remember to use inch at upload.to give the unit dimensions a real world value.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors?
Next Topic:Bounding Box too small

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.