Home » Support » 3D Applications » If you want, we can convert your files for you
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #210] Fri, 25 April 2008 12:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi,

if you can't get your model properly exported in X3D or Collada, we'll try and do it for you. Just mail your original file to service@shapeways.com and we'll do our best!

Cheers,

Bart

(filed under 'famous last words' Wink)

[Updated on: Fri, 25 April 2008 12:23 UTC]

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #413 is a reply to message #210 ] Tue, 29 July 2008 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar clearmenser  is currently offline clearmenser
Go to my shop
that's spectacular. thank you!
Very Happy
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #511 is a reply to message #210 ] Sat, 02 August 2008 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ArtIsLight  is currently offline ArtIsLight
Go to all my models
Yahoo! Thanks so much. Shapeways checking bot was not accepting my file (.x3d)

Now to get that mesh done and ready...

Thanks so much!

Benjamin Bailey
http://minosafilms.wordpress.com/
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #544 is a reply to message #210 ] Sun, 03 August 2008 23:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar felixRobotnik  is currently offline felixRobotnik
Go to all my models
I've been having problems exporting collada from XSI 6.5...

The files seem to be intact on my end, but I continue to receive the following email shortly after upload.

"The fileformat of your object cannot be processed by our software. Please investigate the problem and try again. "

I'll send the file your way and see if you have better luck with conversion. I experienced similar problems with stl exports from 3d studio and have experienced a series of lockups during collada export.

Any suggestions?
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #555 is a reply to message #544 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 07:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
In the current release, there's an issue with some of the error messages - especially when they're size related. Try reducing the size of your object by a factor or 100 and export again. Did that solve it?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #1438 is a reply to message #210 ] Fri, 26 September 2008 06:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mick Lang  is currently offline Mick Lang
Go to all my models
This is great news. Using blender with OSX, I keep trying to get my mesh the correct size and the upload eventually says that it's "less than a centimeter".

I'd like to use Shapeways to build items of an exact size-- can you scale it on your end to the dimensions that I ask for?

Thanks for your great product and service!

Mick
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #1463 is a reply to message #1438 ] Tue, 30 September 2008 09:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Mick,

Sure we can.

As a rule of thumb we interpret 1 blender unit as 1 mtr. Did you size it like that? Which export format did you use since Blender supports all our upload formats?

Cheers!

Robert
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #1471 is a reply to message #210 ] Tue, 30 September 2008 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Mick,

you'll find more information on file formats and units here:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/errors#what_kind_of_file

My guess is that you exported from Blender to STL and used millimeters as a unit; in that case 1 Blender unit would translate to 1 millimeter. You can either scale up your model before exporting, or select another unit - whichever fits your way of working best.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #10423 is a reply to message #210 ] Thu, 04 March 2010 10:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Laserschwert  is currently offline Laserschwert
Go to all my models
Just to be clear:

If I send you an OBJ-file (that has UVW-coordinates) and the appropriate texture-map, you can convert it to a VRML-file that's suitable for color-printing?
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #10425 is a reply to message #10423 ] Thu, 04 March 2010 11:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I can only check or convert files for you, I'm afraid I don't have time to apply a UV texture map for you. So yes, if the OBJ file is already fully UV-Mapped I can give it a try, but no guarantees Wink

Alternatively, you can try doing the conversion yourself with MeshLab.

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #10427 is a reply to message #10425 ] Thu, 04 March 2010 12:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Laserschwert  is currently offline Laserschwert
Go to all my models
Since I am having trouble getting textures to work in Meshlab, I have mailed you guys the file. The UVW-mapping should be intact when you import it into your software, since it IS still intact, when re-importing the file into 3dsmax.
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #18190 is a reply to message #511 ] Thu, 23 September 2010 00:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joedrache  is currently offline joedrache
Go to my shop
what about 3ds files? i recently submitted an stl from 3ds n shapeways could not even open the file.
should i try exporting as adifferent file type? help?
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #18201 is a reply to message #18190 ] Thu, 23 September 2010 07:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Can you open the file in MeshLab? (http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/). If you can't, then there's something seriously wrong with your exporter.

You can also mail the STL file directly to me at bart@shapeways.com.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #40337 is a reply to message #18201 ] Fri, 16 December 2011 01:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nigel  is currently offline nigel
Go to my shop
I have been working on a fairly complex model using SketchUp and I export it as a .dea file to Meshlab and it looks great, solid surfaces and showing clean boundaries. However, when I export to Shapeways with the meshfix, there is always some error. I am about to pull out my hair on this with frustration. The URL for the model is: http://www.shapeways.com/model/410438/1973mmhalfbody91__v2_. html?gid=ug This is a sample which I'm using to get the bugs cleaned before building a complete model. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #40635 is a reply to message #40337 ] Thu, 22 December 2011 11:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Natkins,

that's really hard to tell without having access to the model and knowing which errors you see. Also, the URL you included doesn't work.

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #57042 is a reply to message #40635 ] Mon, 19 November 2012 00:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Do you convert .MAX files to .OBJ? Either the software or my computer is acting up. Id hate to reload it again...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #57073 is a reply to message #57042 ] Mon, 19 November 2012 09:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm afraid not..

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58870 is a reply to message #57073 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChrisDraven  is currently offline ChrisDraven
Go to all my models
Can you convert lightwave?

Cheers

Chris
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58872 is a reply to message #58870 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
HI ChrisDraven,

I'm afraid not, but Lightwave should be able to export to STL or OBJ I believe?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58874 is a reply to message #58872 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
it does but when I try to upload the file it fails on your end despite it being completed.
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58875 is a reply to message #58874 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Any specific errors? If you want, you can mail your file to bart@shapeways.com and I'll have a look.

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58876 is a reply to message #58875 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
What format would you prefer I send you this in?

CHeers
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58877 is a reply to message #58876 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
STL would be great.

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58878 is a reply to message #58877 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks I have sent it to you.
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58879 is a reply to message #58878 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I just sent you a 'fixed' file - it was too large for our printers (and the message in the email wasn't clear, I'll talk to our product people about that).

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58880 is a reply to message #58879 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you for that what size is best?
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #58881 is a reply to message #58880 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 10:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Best for what? That's a hard question to answer - it depends on two things: the material determines the minimum and maximum printable size, and of course the bigger your print, the more expensive it becomes.

You can find all pricing and size information in our materials section:

http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Cheers,

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #61720 is a reply to message #210 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 06:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tappanbai  is currently offline Tappanbai
Go to all my models
I've created a model in AutoCAD that I want to print in color. The colors are correct in the AutoCAD DWG file. I can export in DXF, ACIS (.sat), or STL. How do I generate the [X3D ...?] file needed for color printing?

I can bring the STL into Blender, but lose the color info. I've tried to read about how to color it in Blender - but everything is in terms or radiosity and stuff I have no real background or investment in. Nowhere can I find where I can simply assign a color to a surface.

It would be so much easier if I could preserve the color info from AutoCAD. Is there some way to do that? If you want me to email the file to you (without final detailing), which file type do you want?

I've been told I can download Zprint conversion software free from http://zprint-software.software.informer.com/, but it looks to me like the free stuff on that website are other programs. About Zprint it says:
Quote:

The download link is unavailable now. Try visiting the developer's home page.

Anyway, I don't trust Software Informer. Is there somewhere else I can download Zprint?

THANKS!

[Updated on: Sun, 10 February 2013 06:29 UTC]

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #61732 is a reply to message #61720 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 12:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I will give it a shot for you I will even have a look at the model and see if I can fix it for you as well will get back to you in an hour or so as out at the moment .
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #61764 is a reply to message #61732 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 23:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks. I just attached DWG and STL files to service@shapeways.com.
I can save it to Rhino if that's helpful.
The problem is it's four objects with four different colors. If I use Union to unite them I lose the color distinction.
Can my VMRL out of Rhino be four objects, or does it have to be a single object?

[Updated on: Mon, 11 February 2013 19:31 UTC]

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #61815 is a reply to message #18190 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 18:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
JoeDrache:
Are you still having trouble with your STL files? Shall I try loading one into AutoCAD?
Would you be willing to convert my DXF or ACIS to VRML, 3DX or Collada in return?
Is 3ds a version of Collada?

[Updated on: Mon, 11 February 2013 19:00 UTC]

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #65990 is a reply to message #58881 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 14:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar paulelderdesign is currently online paulelderdesign
Go to my shop
I want to map a texture onto a phone cover. I have the file set up and in my viewport the textures are where I want them. I didn't unwrap as it's a simple planar uwv mapping. When I render to texture everything looks fine until I put it in a zip file with the WRL file and it fails on SW upload. This is the 8th time I've tried to upload a model for Full colour Sandstone. Confused

If I send you the Max 2010 file and textures can you export it to VRML for me?

Paul
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #65991 is a reply to message #65990 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey Paul,

I don't have a copy of Max, but if you could mail me the .zip file I may be able to see what's going on. My address is bart@shapeways.com.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #65992 is a reply to message #65991 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 14:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you I'll do that now. It's driving me crazy Shocked

Paul
Re: If you want, we can convert your files for you [message #65993 is a reply to message #65992 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 14:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
To any Max users out there this is what I did.

mapped the image directly to the object using planar uww mapping then collapsed to editable poly, then applied a seperate
material for the police box sign and collapsed all again. Opened the render to texture dialogue box and set to atomatic unwrap, chose
diffuse as my target slot and hit render. After mapping I got this result from the bake. It's what I wanted

It all went wrong on export?????!!!!

Paul

Previous Topic:3D Max Shapeways Calculator v1.1

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.