I'm just getting started and need all the help and input I can get.

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 294092_deleted, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I'm just getting started and need all the help and input I can get. For now, I first need to get 3D software uploaded. What software works well and is preferably free?Thats all for now.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
  3. If you have a paint program that can save a black and white jpeg you can begin immediately, well give or take a few minutes
    https://www.shapeways.com/creator/2d_to_3d/
    I like the combo of Blender and GIMP. Gimp for paint capabilities, and svg exports, Blender as a good all around modelling platform with decent export/import setup and several tools that are of great use creating a model for 3D printing .Sketchup I am beginning to admire.

4. Hi Coollynx,

I prefer using Blender 3D, which is open source and free to use. If you get used to the hotkeys you'll be making stuff in no time. It also has lots of tutorials on how to use it.

5. Ok, thanks for the recommendation. Now where do I find this software and the tutorials?

6. Blender.org
    I use this too, Actually I prefer this to the paid softwares. I think like the others said there are tons of info on it.. Youtube it. the latest version at this point is Blender 2.65 I think. So when you search on youtube be sure to search the type you download.