Home » Support » 3D Design » Designing for ceramic
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Designing for ceramic [message #60894] Sun, 27 January 2013 14:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I'm converting a model from a 12mm tall version I created for another project to be a 5cm tall ornament to be printed in ceramic.

The 5cm scaled up model is at http://shpws.me/ndfJ

There's some detail that's smaller than the design guidleines recommend, and there's some sharp corners.

Would I get away with keeping the internal corners the same and making the external corners (in red) just slightly rounded - maybe 0,5mm radius?

index.php?t=getfile&id=26231&private=0

Cheers,
Paul

• Attachment: corners.JPG
    (Size: 26.20KB, Downloaded 81 time(s))

Re: Designing for ceramic [message #60898 is a reply to message #60894 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 15:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Well, the external sharp corners have a real tendency to peek trough the glaze.
So there I definitively recommend to use the designated radius from the guidelines.
(Believe me, I tried several, but then again they also keep updating the process/glazing so it's a bit hard to figure what is what.

That said, if it is not rejected, chances are they might apply a bit more glaze which would hurt your detail wishes.

Also sharp internal corners, I think might draw away glaze from nearby areas or similar effects to make things uneven.

Thing is, they try hard to print everything, but this may not lead to the desired result.
In the end we need to get a feel for the material, but round and blobby is the safe way to go.

Cheers!

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Designing for ceramic [message #60899 is a reply to message #60898 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 15:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Thanks for the tips.
I'll go a bit bigger on the detail and corner radii.

Cheers,
Paul

Previous Topic:V-Ray for Rhino Materials? Rendering Advice?
Next Topic:Can't get my design in Ceramic option....