Help with size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by transformersfang138, Jan 26, 2013.

1. I'm new to shapeways and I'm having an issue with my uploads. When I upload a model the dimensions are not what I had originally put. I have a model that is 2.5 in long but after the upload it is 6.2 in long. Does anyone know what's going on or how to fix it. I am using Autodesk inventor and uploading in STL format.

Thanks in advance.

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  3. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    You have uploaded as inches instead of centimetres.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    ^^^
    Bill got it

5. You need to post the measurement option you chose at upload, and if at all possible the exact dimensions in you modelling program and a stl. We should figure out the problem at a glance. I am curious the exact dimensions SW had for it, I think a scaling problem is involved. if that dimension you gave was 6.35.The infamous 2.54 factor might be involved.

Keith

6. In edit mode for the model it now has original bounding box dimensions and oriented bounding box dimensions, thank goodness!!! :laughing:

7. It seems to be when I converted the file it only saves the cm dimensions and when I upload there is only options for inches (which is what I designed in originally), millimeters and meters. so if I scale everything up it should come out right.

8. upload in meters, I figured it out.

Keith

9. Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out, I have figured out the issue and have had no further problems.
    Again thanks.