Home » Support » 3D Applications » Wrapping patterns
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wrapping patterns [message #60802] Fri, 25 January 2013 21:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar CactusBones  is currently offline CactusBones
Go to my shop
I just started messing with sketchup a few months ago and have dabbled a bit in blender. I have been using mostly illustrator and sketchup to make my items in my shop thus far. I really would like to graduate from the sticking 2d planes together or using the follow me tool for ring bands into actually being able to wrap a pattern I around a curve or curved volume. For instance, if I wanted to make my branching heart necklace design into a cuff - wrap it around a cylindrical shape to get a smooth curve. Is this even possible in sketchup, is there another program that I can use to do this? I am on a mac..
Ive heard maybe rhino? Also I prefer to stay with free programs...but would love to hear of anything.

thanks!
Re: Wrapping patterns [message #60806 is a reply to message #60802 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 22:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
for instance if I wanted to make a similar design to my designs below in a 3d program
https://www.etsy.com/listing/92588319/copper-cuff-bracelet-m aiden-design
https://www.etsy.com/listing/90083327/automaton-copper-cuff- bracelet-cage

I currently solder and do this all by hand...looking for some creative expansion in 3d - I feel rather limited thus far because of not knowing how to handle curves
Re: Wrapping patterns [message #60860 is a reply to message #60802 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 20:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Take the mesh, use regular subdivision LOTS, apply a curve modifier to it in blender.The reason for the subdivision you want it smooth at printing time, and do not want the mesh to deform outrageously while it is deformed by the modifier.

Or could use the shrink wrap mod on a cylinder,

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Wrapping patterns [message #60862 is a reply to message #60860 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
It's an old version of Blender but it will give you the basic idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yasl_r2DNv4
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/654-tutorial-how-to-c reate-your-own-ring-in-blender.html

[Updated on: Sat, 26 January 2013 22:09 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Wrapping patterns [message #60871 is a reply to message #60802 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 00:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
index.php?t=getfile&id=26209&private=0This is a very good technique for svg curves, fonts you want to use curve modifiers on. When I read the article, the technique was was for renders. But it is perfect for 3D prints models when you need something applied to a curve. Take the font/ curve object and turn it into a mesh(Alt C). Extrude it the distance the material needs for detail, wall thickness.Now apply the remesh modifier. Unclick remove disconnected pieces, set octree to 6 or 7.apply mod.

In the image, I had a font with remesh mod applied and a text turned into a mesh with curve modifier.Using regular subdivide on the mesh with remesh applied, you will get a smoother surface, on the other mesh the result will be a nasty topology of triangles.

Keith

And yes it is a tacky promo for SW's

• Attachment: screen.png
    (Size: 52.56KB, Downloaded 125 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 27 January 2013 00:36 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Wrapping patterns [message #60875 is a reply to message #60871 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 01:26 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thank you so much! I will try all of these things. I am new to this, so not even knowing the proper terms for what it is I want to do sometimes prevents me from using the internet to educate myself about 3d methods. Thanks for the links.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 January 2013 01:28 UTC]

Previous Topic:Specifying Dimensions in Blender
Next Topic:Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.