Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Powder in my ears... literally!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Powder in my ears... literally! [message #60753] Fri, 25 January 2013 09:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar 8th-elephant  is currently offline 8th-elephant
Go to my shop
Just thought I'd share findings with my latest prototype for an elephant toy in development.
To facilitate wall thickness in my design, I put a 1mm+ hole in the end where the ear connects to the main body.
However, I was surprised that the ears were heavier than my calculations; causing them to droop when assembled.
Ultimately, it was discovered that the ears were filled unfused powder material! I drilled a hole and emptied the contents out which equalled 3 grams of extra weight on a part that should weigh 5.5g.

Not sure if this extra weight is charged to me upon printing, but I'll be making bigger holes whenever possible from now on Shocked

Happy Fabricating,
-8th

index.php?t=getfile&id=26132&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_2510e.jpg
    (Size: 81.53KB, Downloaded 264 time(s))

Re: Powder in my ears... literally! [message #60754 is a reply to message #60753 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 10:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
You're only charged for the volume of material that is fused, i.e. your watertight shell and not the contents of any 'hollow' space.

Paul

Re: Powder in my ears... literally! [message #60800 is a reply to message #60754 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 21:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
Oh! that is where that powder went!!! could you send it back? Just kidding Laughing . Now you know first hand about why we require 4mm/ 2mm for two or more escape holes. Best of luck removing and cleaning the powder.

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways
Re: Powder in my ears... literally! [message #60821 is a reply to message #60800 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 02:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 8th-elephant  is currently offline 8th-elephant
Go to my shop
Thanks for the replies/clarifications stop4stuff and Mhagan.
The powder was easily squirted out of the first ear just to show the volume of material trapped in there.
A vacuum made quick work of the second ear Laughing

Previous Topic:Mold-making/Resin-casting with a Shapeways model...
Next Topic:Gold plating silver printed parts