Home » Community » Introductions » Hi folks, newbie here
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hi folks, newbie here [message #60580] Wed, 23 January 2013 16:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar Steamfoamer  is currently offline Steamfoamer
Go to my shop
Hi all:

I found this site because I was looking around the internet to see if I could find some else who was making a particular freight car in N scale that I wanted and couldn't find. I found the "fowler clone" box car I wanted here.

I am a high school teacher and model railroad hobbiest. I have been working toward teaching my students to use Solidedge. Unfortunately I do not have a printer of my own, so teaching 3d modelling is nice but without a printer it is purely an academic activity. I am teaching myself the software through the motivation of my hobby. I have a narrow gauge passenger car truck to print and a roof for a baggage car to print. These are large scale models (20.3).

Second thing that I have now found that I would like a response to. In looking at the material comparison chart I noticed that the Sterling silver is printed wax and cast (lost wax process). Very cool. many model railroad high quality expensive models are lost wax cast in brass. what is the possibility of getting brass substituted for silver?

Mike

When all is said and done, more is said than done.
Re: Hi folks, newbie here [message #60584 is a reply to message #60580 ] Wed, 23 January 2013 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Welcome! we are looking into alternative cast-able metals.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hi folks, newbie here [message #60588 is a reply to message #60580 ] Wed, 23 January 2013 18:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Brass has already been requested: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=4982 7#msg_49827

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Hi! So excited! (Noob) (Advice Request) (I'd like to start a 3D Printing Business)
Next Topic:not sure this would work, please let me know

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.