Home » Support » 3D Printing » What's the best material to print an action figure head in?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
What's the best material to print an action figure head in? [message #60530] Tue, 22 January 2013 19:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar jamesnix  is currently offline jamesnix
Go to my shop
Hi,
I'm looking to find out the best material for printing action figure heads that I sculpt myself. I have ordered in Frosted Ultra Detail, which is smooth, but has print lines on the head, and the white strong and flexible is too rough. I'm looking for a material that allows for high detail and that is nice and smooth, like regular resin head casts.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Re: What's the best material to print an action figure head in? [message #60537 is a reply to message #60530 ] Tue, 22 January 2013 21:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
FUD is as about as good as it gets. Due to the additive process of 3D printing, there will just about always some signs of lines or layering in a print. A method that will work is to have a print done, spend some time finishing the model to the standards you require and then use that as a master for moulds for resin casting.

Paul
Re: What's the best material to print an action figure head in? [message #60552 is a reply to message #60530 ] Tue, 22 January 2013 23:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Envisiontec and SolidScape machines and materials, people have been showing good results with those, including 1/6 and other big scale heads. The problem: not avaliable at SW.

Well, you can find some posts here, but those were tests, promo images and also modelers showing off the products they sell here, but in other materials (in other words, same 3d file but printed in a different supplier).

Previous Topic:Does shapeways glaze the ceramics?
Next Topic:which material for best surface?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.